The Germans in Wunsiedel discovered that the best way to fight Nazis is to make fun of them. Nazi marches and rallies are a performance, and making fun of them "deflates the puffery" they mistake for heroism.

Wunsiedel had Nazis marching to a grave of one of Hitler's deputies every year. Counterdemonstrations didn't help. Relocating the grave didn't help. In 2014 they tried mockery. They made the march look like a walkathon fundraiser for a program that helps people leave right wing extremism. This deprived the Nazis of their dignity and victimhood story in a way that violent confrontation can not.

So in 2014, the town tried a different tactic: humorous subversion.

The campaign, called Rechts Gegen Rechts — the Right Against the Right — turned the march into Germany’s “most involuntary walkathon.” For every meter the neo-Nazis marched, local residents and businesses pledged to donate 10 euros (then equivalent to about $12.50) to a program that helps people leave right-wing extremist groups, called EXIT Deutschland.

They turned the march into a mock sporting event. Someone stenciled onto the street “start,” a halfway mark and a finish line, as if it were a race. Colorful signs with silly slogans festooned the route. “If only the Führer knew!” read one. “Mein Mampf!” (my munch) read another that hung over a table of bananas. A sign at the end of the route thanked the marchers for their contribution to the anti-Nazi cause — €10,000 (close to $12,000). And someone showered the marchers with rainbow confetti at the finish line.

The approach has spread to several other German towns and one in Sweden (where it was billed as Nazis Against Nazis).

This week, following the violence in Charlottesville, Va., Wunsiedel has come back into the news. Experts in nonviolent protest say it could serve as a model for Americans alarmed by the resurgent white supremacist movement who are looking for an effective way to respond (and who might otherwise be tempted to meet violence with violence). 

Violence directed at white nationalists only fuels their narrative of victimhood — of a hounded, soon-to-be-minority who can’t exercise their rights to free speech without getting pummeled. It also probably helps them recruit. And more broadly, if violence against minorities is what you find repugnant in neo-Nazi rhetoric, then “you are using the very force you’re trying to overcome,” ...

But ideally, of course, we’d avoid violence altogether. This is where the sort of planning on display at Wunsiedel is key. Humor is a particularly powerful tool — to avoid escalation, to highlight the absurdity of absurd positions and to deflate the puffery that, to the weak-minded at any rate, might resemble heroic purpose.

But we do have similar examples of humor being used to counteract fascists in the United States. In 2012, a “white power” march in Charlotte, N.C., was met with counterprotesters dressed as clowns. They held signs reading “wife power” and threw “white flour” into the air.

“The message from us is, ‘You look silly,’ ” a coordinator told the local news channel. “We’re dressed like clowns, and you’re the ones that look funny.” By undercutting the gravitas white supremacists are trying to accrue, humorous counterprotests may blunt the events’ usefulness for recruitment. Brawling with bandanna-clad antifas may seem romantic to some disaffected young men, but being mocked by clowns? Probably not so much. [emphasis mine]

Organized mockery seems the most powerful tool in our toolkit! 

Views: 410

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

LOL

In addition to all the ideas submitted here, I think we should throw in the action which was taken at Vassar College when the Westboro Baptist Church was going to stage a protest there.  Raising funds which would go to a charity or organization whose purposes and aims are utterly counter to those of the KKK or the American Nazi Party would humiliate them as well as aid their opponents.

It worked like hell at Vassar.  I think it should be a part of any such counter-protest in the future.

Contributing to an organization that provides crisis intervention and suicide prevention services to LGBT youth, brilliant! 

Exactly, Ruth. I think this should at least be considered if not standard procedure, anytime we have to confront these nutcase "supremacists."

Good quote, Daniel!

@Daniel, I believe that I did more good by gently teasing my daughter and gkids about their imaginary friends than anything else would have. And giving them facts. Whatever it was it worked.

I love asking things like "Do people fart in heaven?" The more anyone really thinks about it, if they have any rationality at all, it has to start sounding more ridiculous. 

Great question Bertold.

BB, when the girls first asked if I believed in God I asked them which one?? That puzzled them for awhile.

Great response kathy: ky! outside the box from the start.

Kathy, that's a brilliant response, especially for youngsters to get them thinking. Pointing out that there's a whole shitload of gods could make it easier and more logical to choose none of the above. Are the rest of your relatives put out that the younguns have become heathens?

Of course. Lol. I wouldn't expect anything less and it makes me smile :)

They raised a bunch of fool's who don't believe in evolution and I raised godless heathens who think for themselves.

RSS

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

line

Nexus on Social Media:

line

© 2017   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service