It's a mystery to me how comets work at all.
--Donald Brownlee, principal investigator of NASA's Stardust Mission
Nothing in the observed Universe has surprised astronomers and astrophysicists more than comets. Their "dirty snowball" hypothesis, for decades their theoretical bedrock, has time after time failed to predict comet behavior and comet composition. Since 1986, when negatively charged ions were found in the coma of Comet Halley, comets have produced "mysteries" that have left astronomers groping for answers:
1. Comet surfaces with sharply carved relief -- the exact opposite of what astronomers expected under the "dirty snowball" model.
2. Highly energetic supersonic jets exploding from comets' nuclei.
3. The inexplicable confinement of these jets into narrow filaments, spanning great distances, up to MILLIONS of miles, defying the behavior of neutral gases in a vacuum.
4. Jets occurring on the dark sides of comet nuclei.
5. Unexpectedly high temperatures and X-ray emissions from cometary comas.
6. A short supply or complete absence of water and other volatiles on comets' nuclei.
7. Mounting evidence for the production of the OH radical in cometary comas, due to charge exchange with the Sun (the process that misled astronomers into thinking they were seeing evidence of water removed from the surface.)
8. Mineral particles that can only be formed under extremely high temperatures -- the last thing one would expect from a chunk of dirty ice arriving from the outermost reaches of the solar system.
9. Comets flaring up while in "deep freeze," beyond the orbit of Saturn.
10. Comets disintegrating many millions of miles from the Sun.
11. Comet dust particles more finely and evenly divided than is plausible for sublimating "dirty ices."
12. Ejection of larger particles and "gravel" that was never anticipated under the idea that comets accreted from primordial clouds of ice, gas, and dust.
13. The unexplained ability of a relatively minuscule comet nucleus to hold in place a highly spherical coma, up to millions of miles in diameter, against the force of the solar wind.
All of those findings are predictable features of the electric model. Few know of them because space scientists through most of the 20th century have assumed that bodies in space are electrically neutral.0
The Electric Universe views comets as negatively charged bodies moving through the electric field of the Sun, the most positively charged object in the solar system. The most energetic cometary displays occur with comets that spend the most time in the outer regions of the solar system, where they acquire a strongly negative charge. As they race toward the Sun, moving into a more positively charged environment, the nucleus is subjected to increasing electrical stresses.
Why do I stay on the BB's case?
Because I am an educator and because the billions of taxpayer dollars these pseudoscientists are spending on futile searches for evidence are needed for real science.
For info that requires curiosity, but no math, go to www.newtoeu.com and download the free PDF file.