Stonewall Revisited? Fort Worth, TX Gay Bar Raided Last Night

The not awesome thing was the paddy wagon of homophobic police that showed up … looking for trouble. My group and I were sitting on the back patio at a picnic table. Nobody was being wild out there. [The police] came through with flashlights, being loud asking what was going on out here, then asked why everyone was all the sudden being quiet. When one group started up their conversations again, they took one guy away. I left shortly after and as I walked through the front bar there were numerous cops with plastic handcuffs all ready to go. I [left] the bar and they [had] a big van in the parking lot and numerous cars on the street. And just so you know, it wasn’t fire hazard crowded or seedy wild in there. … The worst part is [friends later told me] that [the police] had numerous people face down on the ground outside.

Views: 32

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Holy shit.

Holy shit.

Holy shit.

What the hell is wrong with them?

This shit is why I don't trust cops ever.
I don't ever trust them either.
I would have been taking pictures and video and posting them on YouTube as well as forwarding them along to Move On and The Courage Campaign. The news would have spread like wildfire.
Intimidation.
For some reason authorities today still seem to think it's an effective tool to get society to be the way they want it.

What they're forgetting is it's society that makes the law, not the law that make society.

Absolutely disgusting display of homophobia.

I've seen authorities use this tactic on a number of peaceful groups in the past. They do it because they know, convicted or not, simply being arrested will ruin your reputation and ability to advance to where you want to be.
And they use that as a weapon against anything they "dislike".

Gestapo crap.
It still exists.
Maybe they were just making sure people don't get drunk.

Public drunkenness laws in Texas extend to bars -- which is something that is also asinine.
Yes, retarded laws.......a friend of mine was given a public intoxication charge IN HIS OWN YARD a few years ago!
Seriously, but remember: Don't mess with Texas, it's not nice to pick on retards.
Hey Jack, that's not fair! ;) I was born in Texas, so it wasn't my choice. Okay, I admit there are a lot of less-than-highly-intelligent people here, but please don't paint us all with the same brush. Thanking you! :)
The bar had been only open a week, and I believe was Ft. Worth's first and only gay bar. While it is their right to canvass it looking for public intoxication, it appears that this was motivated by discrimination. The cops are claiming that they were groped by the patrons, and that's why they arrested them. That is BS. I've seen a lot of drunk queens in my life, but I've never seen a gay man disrespect an officer. Never. The cops are just using the same tactic as the "gay panic defense" in murder cases: "I wouldn't have done it if he flaunted his homosexuality in my face, and come onto me."
While I agree with you that police should be enforcing the law; I think that the state's interpretation that BARS are public places is a little more than unreasonable.

Apart from that I'm right with you.
Texas you say? Not surprised.

We no longer have public intoxication laws in my State. You can however, be arrested for being an annoying twat.( say for goosing a police officer while he/she is on duty,glassing your girlfriend etc) PLUS we take a dim view of drunk drivers. If a blood alcohol level of .08 or above is recorded,you receive an on the spot fine and lose your licence on the spot.

RSS

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

line

Nexus on Social Media:

line

© 2017   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service