.Fifth grade, Catholic School, Sister Mary's math class. She makes the startling statement that you can take half a distance between any two points on a number line -FOREVER ! I was stunned. When I drop my pencil it doesn't seem to fall forever. It's velocity ends up being zero? I raise my hand. Off to the dean's office I go. Seems that Sister Mary did not command complete knowledge of all the points she should have.

Views: 198

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The words discrete and continuous are to the mathematics I studied what the words digital and analog are to the computers I studied.

Were the nuns in the pic entertaining impure thoughts?

Or, were their impure thoughts entertaining them?

Yes! and Yes!

I went to Catholic school the whole way through high school. It did set me back - wasting all that time learning useless catechism material that was an exercise in mind numbing attempts to make sense of that biblical bullshit. Eventually I got a degree in Electrical Engineering probably because it was the least "subjective" field of study I could find. 

For example why the hell am I responsible for Adam eating a piece of fruit? It is right there in the catechism. Here is the dribble of an answer if you care...

….the whole human race is in Adam "as one body of one man". By this "unity of the human race" all men are implicated in Adam's sin, as all are implicated in Christ's justice. Still, the transmission of original sin is a mystery that we cannot fully understand. 

Am I to accept that crap as an answer...? LOL

The real chuckle there, though, is that, since the church accepts evolution as a theory, that acceptance wipes out the possibility of a "first man."  This doesn't even mention the whole issue of the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil and the "apple."  The whole business is about 10 light-years past laughable.

Loren has the catholic church accepted evolution? If so that is a good point u make...lets say it is point numberv2759 as to why it can't be.

Apparently, Pope Pius XII stated that there was no conflict between church doctrine and the theory of evolution back in 1950!  Yeah, it surprised me, too.  I would have thought that ruling came a lot later.

That's Zeno's Dichotomy Paradox (a.k.a. Racecourse Paradox). Yes, the pencil has to fall half the distance, then a quarter (half of the remaining half), then an eighth (half of the remaining quarter), then a sixteenth, and so forth. But those infinite divisions don't take an infinite time: 1/2 + 1/4 + 1/8 + 1/16 + ... is easily proved to equal not infinity but 1.

(Simplest to consider if the pencil is falling at a constant terminal velocity; if it's accelerating, it'll reach the ground before it would have under the average velocity of the first half of the fall.)

A good teacher would have addressed your objection as valid, with or without such a technical explanation.

Yes! and Principa!, or Head Master, and Mother!

"Why should Christians consider evolutionary creation?"

No doubt, the Christians should consider evolution without the rattlings cans of creationism. 

Joan, I clicked on the link and found a BioLogos article whose author, I venture to guess, is far better educated than many creationist xians.

I don’t think the organization’s mission statement,

BioLogos invites the church and the world to see the harmony between science and biblical faith as we present an evolutionary understanding of God’s creation.

...will appeal to Trump’s voters.

More, Joan. I explored the BioLogos site a bit more and found in its Forum a discussion on the Hubble Constant. It intrigued me enough to register so I could add the following:

I studied physics at the University of Florida and Florida State University. I earned the credits for a minor in it, though my recorded major and minor are mathematics and economics.

The Standard Model (aka the Big Bang) appears to be based on an assumption that light behaves as sound does. Here is Edwin Hubble’s full statement on the subject, in the 1937 Royal Astronomical Society Monthly Notices:

“If the red shifts are a Doppler shift . . . the observations as they stand lead to the anomaly of a closed universe, curiously small and dense, and, it may be added, suspiciously young.

“On the other hand, if red shifts are not Doppler effects, these anomalies disappear and the region observed appears as a small, homogeneous, but insignificant portion of a universe extended indefinitely in both space and time.“

I understand sound is a longitudinal wave while light is a transverse wave. To my knowledge no one has provided empirical evidence that red shifts are a Doppler effect.

RSS

About

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

Nexus on Social Media:

© 2019   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: The Nexus Group.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service