Situational Leadership Theory: Providing Leadership through Flexibility

Situational Leadership Theory: Providing Leadership through Flexibi...

Identify the level of skill-sets and match skill to the worker.

One knows and knows that he/she knows;

One knows and does not know that he/she knows;

One knows and does not know that he/she does not know;

One does not know and knows that he/she does not know; 

One does not know and does not know that he/she knows;

One does not know and does not know that he/she does not know. 

Did I miss any? 

"This model states that in the modern world, a leader cannot just rely on one management style to fit all situations. Managers and leaders must be flexible in their leadership styles, in order to get the best out of their teams and individuals.

"The situational leadership theory argues that for leaders to be truly successful, they must adjust the way they lead their teams, to suit two factors:

• The ‘task maturity’ of the people they are leading – That is, how competent a person or team is at the task at hand.
  • The details of the task

"In situational leadership theory, leaders place more or less emphasis on the task, and more or less emphasis on the empowerment with the people they’re leading, depending on what’s needed to get the job done successfully"

Laura, my daughter, is the best situational leader I have ever seen. She has a large team of workers who work for her business and in maintaining her home and office. She knows who likes and has skills to do accounting tasks, to do filing, to do phone work, to cook, who likes to clean, to clear the forest of slash and limb up trees, to plow snow in winter and mow in summer, to garden, to plan and prepare for dinner parties. Everyone is happy and if one gets tired of a chore, they have the obligation to speak up and make their wants and needs to be known. Everyone on the team works and takes on the responsibility to complete tasks without prompting from her. If someone wants to move to a different task and does not have the skill set needed, she or another train the person in the new capability. Team members have multiple skill-sets and learn new ones at their own pace. 

I have not seen a more competent team of workers who enjoy working for her and who take pride in their work. 

Views: 172

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Herein lies half of what leadership is in a less hierarchical world: a leader is someone who creates opportunities for others to give their gifts.

--Charles Eisenstein

As a blurt

A friend and mentor had a saying I haven't been able to find on the internet.  The saying may have been a Dana Barg original.

One of the many lines included.

"The more I know the more I know I don't know."

I'm just thowing that in as meaninless chaff.

Another line in Bargs saying is:

"Eventually I'll know everything about nothing."

"There are four kinds of people, three of which are to be avoided and the fourth cultivated:

~ An Arab Proverb

“Men are four:

He who knows not and knows not he knows not, he is a fool—shun him;

He who knows not and knows he knows not, he is simple—teach him;

He who knows and knows not he knows, he is asleep—wake him;

He who knows and knows he knows, he is wise—follow him!”

Confucius, The Analects, ca. 500 B.C.E. 

Suppose Confucius had known of democracy.

Would he have ended #4 with “...he is wise, elect him but do not blindly trust him”?

Confusious is one of my favorite phylosophers.  I have a rubbing of him hanging on my wall.

A Mongolian stopped by my house and didn't know who Confusious was. She said she is Mongolian and therefore didn't know anything about Chinese phylosophers.

I dropped my head in dismay.

Joan, of your six above, #3 and #5 contradict themselves.

Tain’t easy to do better than Confucius.

Our nation is being turned into a "shithole country." We have no leadership because we currently have no leaders in a position of leading. What we have is Bozo von Klownstick and everyone going along with him just like this is an episode of Reality TV. That is what we have become. Few people care.

Whites are "proud to be white" when I would never have even thought of the term. People excuse bad language while claiming that it was not even used, and if it was it is taken "out of context." What "context" is it then? People with Swedish sounding names claim to not know that Norway is predominately white. Did they go to school?

Bozo plays golf just as Nero fiddled, and he is fixing to hold us hostage in order to get his wall money. Bozo is the greatest ever. There is no leadership nor flexibility. Just von Klownstick and a nation without any backbone.

Funney the term Nero fiddled may be understood as playing music, where as fiddle means  (brit) knocking around and ignoring the problem.

Please correct me about my vocabulary and terrible account of language and history.

I use it in Brit terms. I have no idea if Nero played music but most take it this way. As for Brit terms I find that American men would not get it if a lady there said "you must come around and knock me up sometime." She would likely get a lot of visitors.

Back to Bozo, it looks like he is going to get his wall. Apparently we were ready to give it to him on a platter the entire time. Is America held hostage or is it just the fact that we no longer have a choice? Kock brothers be damned!

I should have written this better.

I haven't found a  dictionary the defines fiddle (around) meaning messing around, doing needless busy tasks rather than adressing a problem.

It’s in the OED, Chris.

RSS

About

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

Nexus on Social Media:

© 2018   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: The Nexus Group.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service