As weird as it is, I think it was the attitude of my former "fellow" Christians that started me on the road to doubt. Even though I've got a bachelors in Physics and have generally held a belief in evolution and big bang cosmology for most of the believing stage of my life, it really wasn't science that brought up questions(cognitive dissonance at its best). I think I've always generally never had a connection with anyone in any church I had ever attended. Mainly since most Christians, especially in the south, are non-intellectuals. But I think it really started when I began listening to extreme metal. I couldn't understand how anyone could look down on something that I loved so much and felt so natural to listen to. I can't tell you how many people have told me that its "the devils music"(even though most of the lyrics are socio-political).

Of course later on I did my research and discovered how ridiculous my former beliefs were. So who or what started you on your path to disbelief?

Views: 5279

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Beer is still pretty good if you can keep InBev out of it and find a beer that doesn't have "flavors" or candy in it. I tend to drink German beers. I hate IBev but they still make Michelob lager pretty well. That's an American version of a German beer.

It's been so long since I've had a beer that I haven't tried any of the craft beers that are available now.  And it may be that Mexican breweries have changed their recipes or methods.  Dos Equis had some real *zing* in 1959-60. 

The last time I was actually in Mexico was in the mid-'60s....went to Ensenada for a few days to have my 1960 TR-3 reupholstered, and to party. 

(They did a GREAT job....lasted till I sold the car in 1982.... because I couldn't find a mechanic who knew how to work on it...or had the proper equipment....or was willing to try.)

I brewed home beer too. My favorite was called Super Strong Ale. I think it had an alcohol content of 8%. I would drink one quart while watching TV at night (cold nights in Vermont when I lived there briefly in the 70s). Needless to say, I slept through several TV programs. Tee hee.

I used to drink stout portagaffs, (stout shandy) I had a girlfriend who's brother brewed his own stout and it tasted like burnt rubber. It put me off portagaffs for life.

Just the whiff of stout makes me think of his brew.

That brew created an irrational aversion to stout.

A bit like the fictional, over zealous aversion therapy on the movie "Clockwork Orange" was trying to create an aversion to violence.

Maybe they could have simply made the patients drink my ex's bro's brew while watching violence, if that is what violence tastes like, they'd avoid it entirely.

:-D~

Guinness unfiltered draught beer is the only stout I can drink. It was especially good in Kenya. I've never been to Ireland.

Michael, what do you think of Heineken's? It was practically my favorite import. But people either love it or hate it. Good "god," has this discussion degenerated into a discussion of alcoholic beverages? LOL.

Heineken was better a few years ago than it is now. Still good, somewhat skunky. I think it's an InBev influence here also.

Heinekins isn't on this list, but Corona is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AB_InBev_brands

No need to apologize, Freethinker. If you like something you should enjoy it whether or not anyone else does. It wasn't intended as a criticism of you. My New Year's resolutions include not being critical of anyone in '15.

Sk8eycat, I wonder if you tried any of the Spanish sherries. In particular, a brand by the name of Tio Pepe, made by Gonzales-Byass. If I started drinking again, I would love sipping it again.

No, I didn't.  I was more of a single-malt Scotch fan.  And dry, dry, dry champagne.  I still have a small glass of the bubbly for New Years Eve.  Korbel Natural, by choice. 

I've had some fairly good French champagnes, but never anything outstanding.  Anyroad, most French wines have been made from grapes grown on vines that started out from California root stock over 100 years ago.

Good golly! Our liquid tastes are almost dead par. I loved my Laphroaig, and I got turned onto Korbel Natural in California in the 70s. That is undoubtedly one of the finer U.S. bubblies. Now, I am told that Vouvee (sp>) Cliquot is superb. Sadly, I never could afford the bubbly I most wanted: a vintage (50's) Dom Perignon. I hear good things about a New Mexico champagne of all (places?) things. I cannot recall the name and have to do a search each time I mention it. Alas, all spirits are a part of my past.

RSS

About

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

Nexus on Social Media:

© 2020   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: The Nexus Group.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service