As weird as it is, I think it was the attitude of my former "fellow" Christians that started me on the road to doubt. Even though I've got a bachelors in Physics and have generally held a belief in evolution and big bang cosmology for most of the believing stage of my life, it really wasn't science that brought up questions(cognitive dissonance at its best). I think I've always generally never had a connection with anyone in any church I had ever attended. Mainly since most Christians, especially in the south, are non-intellectuals. But I think it really started when I began listening to extreme metal. I couldn't understand how anyone could look down on something that I loved so much and felt so natural to listen to. I can't tell you how many people have told me that its "the devils music"(even though most of the lyrics are socio-political).

Of course later on I did my research and discovered how ridiculous my former beliefs were. So who or what started you on your path to disbelief?

Views: 4772

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The problem is not in the children but in the parents. I was about seven years old when my parents told me that I no longer needed to believe in Sinterklaas. Logical question:"And when are you going to tell me that I no longer need to believe in God?" You can guess the answer - hell broke loose.

I'm repeating and have said this before. To the believer "god is a given." They think that everybody believes in god and believe the Bible tells them so. That's why you get stupid replies if you tell them you are atheist. "Oh, something must have happened," they say.

Yes it did. I grew up and stopped believing in imaginary beings.

Following this line of thinking the movie "God Is Not Dead" has an atheist professor who admits as he is dying that he became atheist when his father died. WTF? Christian logic and reasoning is really screwed up!

Yes, Michael, I get such stupid arguments from Christians all the time.

They love pushing the Straw-Man fallacy.

"So and so was an Atheist until he realized he was dying, then he gave himself to Jesus."

Which is not only a Straw-Man argument, but is also extremely irrational at best.

If a person has no belief in an agency, they would not be seeking that agency in times of trouble, if they do, then they were never non-believers in the first place, they were agnostic.

Though idiotic Christian fundamentalists cannot grasp this fact.

They think that by making idiotic Straw-Man arguments, they will change us into Christians.  

I've never met a Rational Christian Fundamentalist, such an animal cannot possibly exist in any world. (modal logic).

Right on, brother.

Yes.

It's a variation on "there are no atheists in foxholes."  And they're wrong.

There are no theists in foxholes.  Because the soldier under attack abandons any pretense that God will save his or her ass, and instead, relies upon his or her reason to sensibly seek the protection of the foxhole.

My Grandfather was an Atheist and I was beside him when he was dying, and not once did he even consider an afterlife, same with my father-in-law who was agnostic, neither of them considered turning to god, both of them refused the hospital pastor who wanted to give them absolution, lets us know how fake it is that they even offer it to non-believers.

They only wanted family near them, outsiders had to go, even pastors.

They just wanted to die with dignity, with those that they know really care for them about.

The thought of being saved or afterlife, was not their concern.

Only Narcissists appear to be desperate for an afterlife.

Neither of these great men were narcissistic.

Those that wish for an afterlife appear to be narcissists, from my experience.

These men had the attitude of, we did what we needed to do, its now time for others to carry on in our place.  Adios Amigos.

The Christian attitude is really another variation of the Fallacious, Pascal's Wager Syndrome.

You know: Which is better, to believe in God and be saved or to not believe in God and be damned for eternity.  This only appeals to Narcissists, and thus those Christians asserting this as a real world dichotomous decision are condemning themselves as being Narcissists.

Atheists in general, really don't care about Pascal's Wager.

It has no real influence on most rational people as it is nonsense.

If you (like my grandfather) did not believe in god, just claiming a belief to save yourself, will not get you past any real judgement, an all knowing god would simply say, Sorry Mate! Last minute fake mind changes don't count!

Because real belief for an Atheist is not really possible.

Thus it would be spending your last moments on earth as a liar.

Remember the story of the rapist/murderer who suddenly popped into heaven right in front of the woman he raped and killed. Shocked and scared to see him, he explained that he asked Jesus to save him right before being injected on the gurney. I'm sure these two will enjoy talking about old times together.

But that's how it is. God works in hysterical ways.

LOL Michael, Yes, but that is what happens in Christianity.

I'm certain such extreme narcissists like Charles Manson are now seeking absolution.

Sharon Tate and Charles will certainly have a lot to talk about for an eternity.

:-D~

I'm not being harsh on the dying man himself.

He may have mistakenly called himself an Atheist, when in fact he was actually Agnostic bending towards Theist.

Or those making the claim to you are deliberately, falsely painting the dying man as a returning to Theism, Atheist, or using the person as a Straw Man against Atheism. 

It is those people who are deliberately misrepresenting that dying man who are committing the injustice.

Not I.

I'm only pointing out their Deception and Fallacious arguments.

:-D~

BTW: I'll let Jaclyn Glenn explain the stupidity of Pascal's Wager!

Thanks, Dyslexic's Dog, I shared on Twitter and Facebook. I like the way she developed her premise. 

You would do that, DD, wouldn't you?

I'm trying to remember if she explained all four parts of the wager. Most people explain only two parts and think it complete.

I guess I'll have to watch the clip again.

RSS

© 2018   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: The Nexus Group.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service