As weird as it is, I think it was the attitude of my former "fellow" Christians that started me on the road to doubt. Even though I've got a bachelors in Physics and have generally held a belief in evolution and big bang cosmology for most of the believing stage of my life, it really wasn't science that brought up questions(cognitive dissonance at its best). I think I've always generally never had a connection with anyone in any church I had ever attended. Mainly since most Christians, especially in the south, are non-intellectuals. But I think it really started when I began listening to extreme metal. I couldn't understand how anyone could look down on something that I loved so much and felt so natural to listen to. I can't tell you how many people have told me that its "the devils music"(even though most of the lyrics are socio-political).

Of course later on I did my research and discovered how ridiculous my former beliefs were. So who or what started you on your path to disbelief?

Views: 4655

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I very much agree with Neil deBrasse Tyson's answer. It makes more sense to me than anything else. 

If we were allowed to be buried without being embalmed and sealed in caskets, I'd go for it, but in most places, except maybe Saudi Arabia, it's illegal.

When my dad died they wanted to cremate his husk in a wooden casket, and I said NO!  So they used a cardboard coffin.....they had to use something because that is the law here.

Felaine, I ran across this about embalming ... and other subjects on funerals:

Funeral Law Basics

"Q: Do we have to have the body embalmed?

"A: That depends. If the body is to be viewed in a funeral-home, most funeral directors will require the body to be embalmed. It's a business policy, not a law.

"You can avoid embalming by choosing a direct cremation, immediate burial or a family-led home funeral. But be aware that you have only two days to hold visitation and funeral ceremonies. According to conventional interpretation of the law, a nonembalmed body must reach it's place of final disposition within 48 hours."

My parents chose to not have embalming, a viewing or a funeral. Cremation occurred soon after their deaths. I hosted a family and friends gathering at my home for each one. 

Religion always raises its head. At my older daughter's for Christmas dinner today we had a fair gathering. Meal time comes and my ex-wife asks "does anyone want to pray?" We all played dumb and pretended we didn't hear the question. I'm going to guess this means that I am displaying positive atheism because these people claim they are all still theists.

I would have sung, "Dashing thru the....NO!"  but I'm bad.

Fleas Navidog, y'all:

In a Mexican community the song would be "Police Naba Dad." They wanted the best Christmas they ever had but on the way to the party the police nabbed dad.

Michael Penn, you hit the nail on the head. "You cannot reason with them." When arguing with those who have nothing but dogma for ammo, the reasonable person loses before beginning. I tried it on a believer friend (a really nice guy, BTW), telling him things like the beliefs of the Arianists, the Gnostic sects, &c., contradicting the bible almost entirely, he gave me a pained face and protested, "You're getting me confused." I had to apologize and promise not to rattle his superstition again.

James, try some really positive thinking.

In the future when xians says you're getting them confused, thank them for the feedback and tell them their education has begun.

Oh, and wish them success.

Can't do that with this guy, Tom. He and his wife practically worship my intellect: neither had anything beyond a high school education. I see them now and then because the wife is the daughter of a wonderful woman I knew for 30 years before her recent death. They view me as a link to their own past and hey I have so few friends here I cannot afford to offend them by "showing off."

It was a gr8 Yuletide/Solstice celebration here, with my daughter and Son's young family.

Never a mention of God, nor prayer, except from moi.  

Well, I cannot resist a chance for a sarcastic dig at stupidity, though everybody laughed.

Such is the inclination that comes from having been a troll for decades.

Though, as the saying goes: "Laughter Is The Best Medicine".

Something I got from reading my parent's Readers Digest joke book, when I was around 5 years old.

Though most of their jokes were so lame, I never found many of them funny.

I guess they weren't Sarcastic enough nor enough Irony for Moi.

Funny That!

:-D

I long ago came to the conclusion that Reader's Digest appeals to the lowest common denominator, like Buddweiser.

I always thought the lowest common denominator was attracted to Coors...or Pabst.  At least Bud sponsors those teams of lovely horses....the only part of the Torment of Roses that I really enjoy.

RSS

About

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

line

Nexus on Social Media:

line

© 2018   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service