As weird as it is, I think it was the attitude of my former "fellow" Christians that started me on the road to doubt. Even though I've got a bachelors in Physics and have generally held a belief in evolution and big bang cosmology for most of the believing stage of my life, it really wasn't science that brought up questions(cognitive dissonance at its best). I think I've always generally never had a connection with anyone in any church I had ever attended. Mainly since most Christians, especially in the south, are non-intellectuals. But I think it really started when I began listening to extreme metal. I couldn't understand how anyone could look down on something that I loved so much and felt so natural to listen to. I can't tell you how many people have told me that its "the devils music"(even though most of the lyrics are socio-political).

Of course later on I did my research and discovered how ridiculous my former beliefs were. So who or what started you on your path to disbelief?

Views: 5040

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Not this one. 

... it takes a woman 20 minutes to reach orgasm. It takes a man 2.

God fucked up.

But, in fucking up that way, God gave serious power to young women whose boyfriends failed to make sure they too reached orgasm.

As a woman once said, "I would enjoy sex more if I weren't using it for power."

Yeah, Prog Rock Girl, but very few men know how to have multiple orgasms.

It requires them to focus attention elsewhere.

Ha-ha-ha-ha!!!  Never thought of THAT!

Twelve years of catholic school bullshit with sadistic nuns and crooked priests created lots of doubt. Of course taking 4 foot floor bong hits and sitting around philosophizing with my high school friends like "That 70's Show" probably helped.
being shunned by my neo-pagan friends got me to be honest with myself; I didn't believe any of that bullshit.

I have a friend who is pagan, who admits to being irrational. But it makes her feel good, so it's okay for her to believe in it. I love her, but I admit to staring at her for a whole five minutes in silence.

Rachel, when I define the word rational as economists do, as referring to the benefits and costs that result from a choice, the only rationality I see in religion, especially xianity, is the kind that prevails in a dominant/submissive relationship.

One day about thirty years ago when I was still in transition, after a talk by a retired college professor I remarked that I wasn't comfortable with the superior/inferior aspect of xianity. His reply shocked me; he said "That's what I like about it."

Your pagan friend might be more rational than she knows.

Hm-mm, ask your neo-Pagan friend what she's doing that leaves her needing second chances?

She might be doing what an enterprising Catholic kid does, confesses a sin and then go out and commits it again.

Woot! Glad your free of the woo nonsense. I hope you get the best, easiest-to-live-with depression and anxiety treatment imaginable :) (Oh, and I hope it's affordable too!)
I've never had any serious doubts about religion being absolute bullshit.
God probably got the boot the same day as Santa and the Easter Bunny.
I did believe when i was younger, but yeah, santa and the easter bunny raised the initial question marks on god.

RSS

© 2019   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: The Nexus Group.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service