Social costs of capitalism bring neofascism, then genocide

Umair Haque weaves a poetic shivering story of fascism, capitalism’s biological and social externalities, and catastrophic climate change -- which my title totally butchered.

Why Catastrophic Climate Change is Probably Inevitable Now

Subtitle:How Capitalism Torched the Planet by Imploding Into Fascism

I recommend reading the article in full. These excerpts hardly do justice to the whole which he weaves.

... the foundational fascist belief that only the strong should survive, and the weak — the dirty, the impure, the foul — should perish. That is why neo-fascists do not lift a finger to stop climate change — but do everything they can to in fact accelerate it, and prevent every effort to reverse or mitigate it. ..., catastrophic climate change is not a problem for fascists — it is a solution. 

Let me connect the dots of capitalism’s unpaid social and environmental costs, and how they are linked, not additively, …, but with the mathematics of catastrophe.

... the social costs of capitalism meant that democracy collapsed into neo-fascism — and neo-fascism made it unlikely, if not outright impossible, that the world could do anything at all about climate change, in the short window it had left, at the precise juncture it needed to act most.

The social costs of capitalism weren’t just additive to the environmental costs … The social costs exponentiated the environmental, …

… the neofascist wave which we are now in also means drastically less global cooperation — but less global cooperation means incalculably worse climate change.

It wasn’t just the environmental costs of capitalism which melted down the planet — it was the social costs, too, which, by wrecking global democracy, international law, cooperation, the idea that nations should work together, made a fractured, broken world which no longer had the capability to act jointly to prevent the rising floodwaters and the burning summers.

To the fascists, ...The problem is you — if you are not one of the chosen, predatory few. And the solution to the problem of you is climate change. They are quite overjoyed to have found the most spectacular and efficient and lethal engine of genocide and devastation known to humankind, which is endless, free natural catastrophe. Nothing sorts the strong from the weak more ruthlessly... [order changed, emphasis mine]

Umair Haque's perspective raises the hairs on the back of my neck. He's so perceptive of the

malevolent glee of Dominator Culture's extreme right, just like Chris Hedges when he covered war atrocities. Knowing that even the "triumphant" fascist elite 0.001% will finally suffocate, bake, starve, and drown comforts no one.

Do you agree with Haque's indictment? He kind of implies that fascists are ultimately collectively psychopathic, don't you think? 
Every time I try to explain to myself how fascists might not really intend to turn the planet into a giant oven, my brain throws up German history images and Charlottesville tiki torch marchers shouting "blood and soil". Not only does anger roil my thoughts, but hatred of fascism. Where are the constructive visionaries, opening a window to a new cooperative lifestyle? <sigh> It's so much easier to see our nastiness than to envision our improvement. I especially disliked his hint of us not deserving a future at the end. An affirmation that we can be better than fascism when things get tough would have been more helpful.

Views: 116

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"I think" before a statement is not a claim of fact and thus not subject to a lawsuit. If I am incorrect on this point, please let me know. I would hate to see you in a lawsuit against tRump, Loren, I think he is a dirty fighter. 

'Moneyball' author studies Trump, finds gov’t neglect. "The role of government in a free society is to protect." 

"We hold these truths to be self-evident,

that all men are created equal,

that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights,

that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness, —

That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, —

That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness."

~ Thomas Jefferson, Declaration of Independence

As a child, I chewed on the DOI with my cousin, Paula, and her Dad who loved the words in this document and transmitted that feeling to Paula and me. He took us with him when he represented a client at the Supreme Court. We fell in love with the law as only young girls with stars in their eyes can do. We stood for justice and took on situations we thought needed our help at our schools. We must have seemed odd to the other students. We carried a chip on our shoulders because one of our ancestors signed that document. So there! 

Paula and I took issue with the word, "men" and spent our lifetime claiming the rights enumerated in the Declaration. 

You have my thanks! You set a good example for us.

Ruth, I think your comment is directed to me; please correct me if I am wrong. If you are responding to me, I appreciate your affirmation. You are one bright lady and your opinion matters to me. 

Yes, I was replying to your Sunday reply.

L&L, Michelle and I went to a candidates meeting last night; it is clear who is for the smelter and those opposing. 

Look at the tax rate from 1913 to 2013.

https://files.taxfoundation.org/legacy/docs/fed_individual_rate_his...

I've seen better better charts showing this information. Sorry I haven't found one.

My point is 'When America Was Great'  the marginal tax rate for people with high income had a high tax rate therefore would invest (in their buisness) rather than gamble with it in financial markets, or move their political pawns around the chess board.

I don't think many understand that we are living a guilded age.

Donald Trump has a gold plated toilet.

I'd like to see a movie about obseine wealth such as was made in the 1930's. Apparently most, if many don't understand the problem of the wealth divide including the few at the 1%.

If this doesn't equalize there will be a revilution such as happened in France.

It appears to me that some  commoners (and misconstrued religious believers) cherish, perhaps because of Disney Movies that they think it's acceptable, if not appropriate to have a select few attain wealth and as a result control of governments.

W.T.F. is wrong with people?

Chris wrote: ”If this doesn't equalize there will be a revilution such as happened in France.”

Maybe not. The federal gov’t has for years been arming local police with military-type weapons.

Perhaps it isn't plated butt (intentionall) entirely made of gold.

Regardless even without smelling the defication it comes out in the breadth of Trumps words.

"smelling the defication" ROFL. What a choice turn of phrase, Chris.

RSS

About

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

Nexus on Social Media:

© 2018   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: The Nexus Group.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service