Is suicide wrong? It's obvious that suicide should not be the first solution tried in order to fix a problem, but who's to say that someone shouldn't take their own life if they so wish? Under what circumstance is it alright, if ever?

Views: 294

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I believe nothing a person can do is ever "wrong" when it involves just "you," just as I believe that nothing done between or among consenting adults is wrong. The only "wrong" is when you involve others without their consent or involve those who are too young to give legal consent. Now, I admit that it would make me unhappy if, say, my husband committed suicide, but I would say that it is all right and not wrong for him to choose to do so.

I do not know if I will offend people or sound psychologically unstable as I say this publicly. So, please don't take me seriously. Those who say suicide is wrong are either politicians that want slaves existing or selfish people that obsess over people that are weak enough to want to end their game of life in my opinion. There is very deep depression that can eat away at you regardless of the medication that you use. So, a neverending dosage increase can happen. I'm extremely dissatisfied in the world that I live in. From what I've experienced, there are manipulative people that put their survival before identity. The superficial people basically. Unfortunately, I find those people to be the majority of the human population. And so, I don't feel I belong here. I've also experienced a world where cruelty against a will happens. And so, I don't feel safe here. You can think and feel that I'm overthinking and overfeeling things. Okay. But, I'm indifferent to a person who says I shouldn't kill myself when I think they're using me.

Niki --

Well first off, welcome to Atheist Nexus. You may or may not have noted that you've replied to a discussion that's had no comments for seven years. This Website is like that - groups and discussions fall out of use but linger on, seemingly endlessly.

Albert Camus was considered by most to be a big league philosopher, and he once said the only real philosophical question is whether or not to kill yourself. It's a good point, but I think he was exaggerating a bit. There are other philosophical questions that are excruciatingly interesting too. But he did make his final exit via a speeding automobile and a concrete bridge abutment, so it could be that he was deadly serious (half-ass pun intended).

I really like the response of the person whose comment is just above yours:

>I believe nothing a person can do is ever "wrong" when it involves just "you," just as I believe that nothing done between or among consenting adults is wrong.

So, I completely agree with you that anyone who says a person "has no right to" or "shouldn't" take one's life under any circumstances because it's morally or religiously wrong is totally full of shit. To me one of the (many) detestable things about religionists is that they fight against right to die laws. It's everyone's free choice. You're not going to go to hell, but I understand you could have the feeling you're already there. It's not a question of whether it's right or wrong, it's a question of how it fits with your priorities. I understand about deep depression and undergoing horrific experiences. But I don't think you should let the past make the decision for you. You have a present and a future that should be taken into consideration.

I have to tell you I don't know what you mean about people that "put their survival before identity." Holding one's individual survival as a highest priority is a pretty common trait among us humans and other animals, and I don't think anyone would say that's a bad thing. Identity is a dicey thing; no one can deny there are a lot of assholes on this planet. But anyway that's other people. What about you? What options do you have? I think you need a serious and systematic reflection on that. Is suicide a valid choice? Yes. Is it your best choice? You noted some things that are unfavorable about your current life. What of those do you have the capacity to change? That's what you need to think about to make a sound decision. There are still decent, loving people and positive experiences available in the world, and they're in the realm of your possibilities if you're open to them.

I hope you will enjoy our online community here.

Niki, I always answer before I read other answers so that I don't self-monitor what I think. In this case, I wish I had read your response before writing. 

You wrote, "please don't take me seriously." I always take it seriously when someone wants to talk about suicide. If you are a mentally mature, healthy adult and want to commit suicide, I hope you would talk to a good listener about your thoughts before taking that final step; and it is a final step, some call it "final exit."

If, for any reason, you are a mentally unstable, unhealthy person, then run, don't walk to the nearest mental health clinic. Niki, you only have one shot at life. There is no other life and no life after death. When you die, you are dead. Your mind, heart, lungs, muscles, and flesh decay leaving your bones, cold, dry, rigid, with no life to be restored.  

You have the precious gift of life; why squander it? You make your own life, no one can use you unless you allow them to.  No one can exploit or manipulate you unless you let them. 

Focus on the life you want and how you are going to make it happen. There are no saviors; there is no one to rescue you. You have to create your life the way you want it and then do the things that move you in that direction. 

Keep in touch, Niki, we have strong shoulders here, and we also help to lighten the load; we work at thinking positively and making healthy choices. 

Suicide is a long-term solution to a short-term problem. 

The way I see it, we have the opportunity and privilege to participate in life on this beautiful Earth and in this incredible universe. We only get one chance then life is over forever. For those who are elderly or with a terminal disease and in uncontrollable pain, they should be able to have the assistance of a physician to die. For those who are depressed, angry, in grief, and afraid, suicide may be an out, but it is a final solution. What seems hopeless may have a solution. For those who feel hopeless and helpless, i.e. Jews at the ovens, or people in the Twin Towers as it was burning, suicide may be a fast way to end an impossible situation. I had great compassion for the jumpers on 9/11 and for those who tried to escape and failed. 

Before taking one's life, I hope and urge that the person would talk to a good counselor. Maybe the person feels hopeless and helpless but may not have looked at all options.  

"Options, without awareness, yield me no freedom."

~ Ed Lindaman 

On a hot August day, an ant ran across some sticky asphalt to the shade of a car wheel. If he had known that the driver of that car was in the store picking up cold drinks and snacks to go on a picnic, the ant could have climbed up on the wheel and frame and found a free ride to ant paradise. Not knowing, the ant sat there in the shade and when the drive started the car he ran over the ant flattening it into the hot tar. The ant was not aware of his options. 

"Options, without awareness, yield me no freedom."

~ Ed Lindaman 

"Ed Lindaman, you prattle on about freedom as if it's important at death's door. It's you who are not aware."

Suicide should be OK if it's proven that you are in your right mind. This task would allow lots of therapy, and the thing that makes suicide totally wrong is religion.

Religion makes suicide wrong, but it's really religion that's wrong.

Justice requires that people consent to binding agreements. No one consents to being given life.

Suicide is not wrong. Suicide is a tragedy created by difficult circumstances. Someone who is suicidal deserves all of our love and support. 

It was ages ago that I first picked up The Chronicles of Narnia, and all things considered, I find it a bit odd that, while C. S. Lewis certainly would be opposed to suicide, that he would express such reasoning as the following:

... if you live you may yet have good fortune but all the dead are dead alike.
-- Hwin the Mare, A Boy and His Horse

"The dead are dead alike?" That sure sounds like the attitude of one who thinks that this is the only life we have, and of course, that's the point.

I am not sanguine about suicide, but then I enjoy my life as it is, and I have sufficient control of it that contemplating the taking my own life would have to be under far worse conditions than what I experience at the moment.  As for those who see suicide as a means of escape from an untenable and unbearable situation (as the character Aravis Tarkheena did in A Horse and His Boy), it may be that they haven't considered ALL possibilities open to them.  Indeed, being under the kind of stress which brings thoughts of suicide, rational thought is likely not going to be at its best in most people, I would think.  This is where having some form of support network is vital, and if not personal support, then at least the phone number of a suicide prevention organization.

My $0.02 worth, for those who are interested.

RSS

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

line

Nexus on Social Media:

line

© 2017   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service