The  news of the loss of Robin Williams is saddening. I however can't help feeling that it is the shared delusion of a better place to go that was likely the cause. This is not a new idea as suicide to speed along the journey to "heaven" that caused the church to announce that it was a sin. Those who say religion isn't harmful if practiced alone I believe are mistaken or have never lost a loved one who was alone with their ideas of a better place. Maybe this idea is ill timed, but I have seen many instances where life was lost due to someone hoping for the promised land because their ideas were allowed to manifest unchallenged.

Just my thoughts

Scot

Views: 2008

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, I've read old philosophical writings on subjects like physics and found them rife with assumptions. 

This is the disease that philosophy intends to cure.

Short people tend to live longer.  Just like small dogs live longer.  That ought to be consoling to someone short :)

Taller men are favored in careers and dating.  So reassurance from the secretaries probably would not have helped. 

@IdahoSpud:
Razors pain you;
Rivers are damp;
Acids stain you;
And drugs cause cramp.
Guns aren’t lawful;
Nooses give;
Gas smells awful;
You might as well live.
--Dorothy Parker

"I'm not afraid of dying, I just don't want to be there when it happens." --Woody Allen

Hehehe.

Thank You

Wow, considering this is my first writing of anything online, on an idea that just hit me, I cant say how pleased I am at most responses. Has given me much to think on and I hope more insight will come.

And Religious Jerks will say He's in Hell

Religious jerks will say he's in hell because every religious jerk knows that god is a jealous god. For this reason he created you out of nothing just so you could worship him. You have the choice of worshipping him or not, and if you don't worship him, he will send you to hell. This is because he loves you so much. It makes perfect idiot theist sense.

Any god  that can make a woman  out of a man's  rib...is enough to convince me,  he/she/it is  a made up fantasy  of  a looney tunes human with a very  creative  mind..

Freethinker31, excellent observation! Why didn't I see it earlier?! Well, that is part of the disease. 

I never associated suicide with religious concepts. As a survivor of a failed attempt myself, I can speak first hand as to the motivations behind suicide, at least from my perspective. For me, suicide was an attempt to end my existence. I did not care whether or not there was an afterlife at the time. The pain of living just seemed to be something I wanted to escape. If that meant the complete end of my existence, I found that potential end more palitable to the suffering of existence. 

As many religions prohibit suicide, or rather have a set protocol that ends badly for those that take their own life, I don't see how the idea that suicide is a quick way to get to heaven could be justified. At the core, suicide is an irrational response to suffering in this life, that one finds reasonable when in a deep depression as a potential escape from that suffering. As such, I am not sure how the existence of an afterlife would have any bearing on someone making that flawed decision. 

This was a couple decades ago for me, so rest assured I am fine now. I was having a crisis of faith, coming out of fundamental Christianity at the time. Upon obtaining a greater understanding of science and the nature of logic, I was ultimately able to abandon irrational thoughts, including those that caused my depression. And as I finally emerged as an atheist, I have never been so satisfied with existence, and have found a new sense of purpose and value for THIS life, the only one we likely will have. 

RSS

© 2015   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service