I imagine a lot of people here get drunk occasionally, and sometimes use drugs. As a person who has recently given up drinking (not an alcoholic or anything, just want to give it up for several reasons), I am beginning to see Religion as a self-imposed form of delusion, but also see being drunk, buzzed, or high as the same thing. Question is, can you be a "bright" and still be a "drunk" even an occasional one ? Not that we cant fall off the wagon every once in a while, but to be an advocate for occasional drunkenness or getting high seems to be at odds with being rational. Thoughts?

Views: 638

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sex is just a body function. It should be no more or less enjoyable than using the bathroom.
Stephen, I am refraining from mocking you for refraining from mocking SolitaryMan1983. Is this what they mean by "pay it forward"?
I know one thing for sure, is that you two have made me laugh for the 2nd time today (or is that the third) and I didn't even need to imbibe :)
I hope I'm not repeating someone else's point, but I was told about this thread and HAD to jump in to the lil fray. Ryan it would seem that the next logical conclusion to your hypothesis is to give up recreational sex! Sex without the goal of reproduction is recreational and just for the pleasure we feel with the release of chemicals in our brains.
If I take a valium with a shot or 3 of Jim Beam (as I cant smoke weed do to testing) I sometimes do it for the relaxation and the pleasure. I do not lose my rationality. If you or others wish to teetotal that is of course fine. And I admire your ability to do so and require no external chemical pleasures. But I see it having NO bearing on ones rationality.
It has a bearing on ones rationality when it becomes a dependancy and all consuming....such as any other thing in life (such as religion). Drinking and smoking is a form of relaxation and is considered a form of socializing. I love nothing better than a good joint and a bull session with my close friends on a friday night. And in another sense...alcohol has been an influence on human society for hundreds of years...so one could argue the point that we have evolved to drink alcohol. No?
We have evolved to drink alcohol? No.

Just because we like doing something doesn't mean it's vital to our society or existance. We like doing all sorts of things and they aren't important either. Lots of us like to dunk biscuits into coffee but that doesn't mean we have "evolved to dunk biscuits into coffee". In order to say we have evolved to drink alcohol, through a social/behavioural basis, you would have to prove there was a biological advantage to drinking alcohol (this isn't about potentially living longer if you drink a small amount of wine a day, that's a different thing). I don't think women look for drinkers particularly as father-of-their-children material, but men may look for drunk girls for easy impregnation. What exactly is the mechanism by which you think we have "evolved to drink alcohol"?

Incidentally, have you ever tried relaxing by just relaxing and going out with friends? It still works! Even without alcohol! Who would have thought it?
ITs just a thought. SImilar in my opinion to the eating of meat. Many people are opposed to eating meat for moral reasons involving the animals, but as a species we have been eating it for thousands of years. I study nutrition and would never advise someone to give up all forms of animal protein unless they truly wanted to for their own personal reasons. ( I wouldnt tell them to eat steak everyday, or binge eat either) I mean, studies have shown that drinking small amounts of alcohol can be good for your health. I dont think it is necessary for a good time, thats not my point, if someone feels that way about it, that could indicate a problem, but looking at it as part of our diet, or part of our culture...moderate drining of alcohol has been with ur for a while.
Any amount of any alcohol is bad for you. Sure it has some nutrients, but all organic matter has nutrients, and you will get your nutrients, the same things in alcoholic beverages, from fruit or grapes! In addition to damaging your liver, putting too much stress on your liver, it damages your central nervous system and might do other damage. It is also generally not healthy to desire to derive enjoyment from any other food or drink.
Yeah, man, I am for real, more real that some people who get drunk and can't distinguish between what is real vs what is imaginary. Ok, I didn't give up everything at once, it happened in stages, so I imagine that for a person to go from a typical diet to my diet in one big leap would cause a massive amount of discomfort, but after you psych yourself out and acquiesce to the fact that I follow just about the healthiest lifestyle, after the initial discomfort, and after you read the book I started to write about this...you too can have the energy and vitality I have.
What if I don't give a shit about having the diet and lifestyle you have?
BMW, you have a most excellent way of getting right to the nub of the issue.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Supporting Membership

Nexus on Social Media:

© 2015   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service