I would like to do a piece on my blog, Releasing Religion, regarding mixing God & government.  And I'd like to know what opinions people have here about doing such a thing.  Some points to mention are:

Glenn Beck is well known for arguing that we have misunderstood that founding fathers & their desire to keep church & state separate.  Holding his rally on 8/28, he gathered 150.000 people to hear him talk about bringing out country "back to God".  What do you think it would do to our country to "get back to God"? 

The Tea Party has been called racist Chrisotcrats. In their recent convention, most conference sessions began with prayers.  What do you think of the Tea Party?  Do you know very little about them?  Do you know a lot?  Please share your thoughts here.

The piece will be posted on www.releasingreligion.blogspot.com

Tags: 8/28, Beck, Christocrats, Glenn, Honor, Party, Rally, Restoring, Tea

Views: 478

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

He was born on an army base,which is considered to be US soil.
So, no Obama, no Tea Party? really? If Hillary Clinton was Prez you don't think the tea party would exist? come on! sure they go after Obama's race, but if Hillary or any white was president, they would have other stupids signs and baseless accusations.

This is a war against democrats and their greater reliance on government intervention, not blacks.
Were the protesters that burned Bush in effigy racist against whites? How about all the Bush signs with swastikas on them. Were all those protesters bigots, homophobes and Jew haters? I have no doubt that there are some Tea Partiers that are idiots but, why judge the whole group because of a few idiots. I can see why they are protesting. They see our government shoving social programs down the throats of the American people. These are people who have worked hard all their lives and don’t want there money taken from them without any say. By the way, there have been thousands and thousands of protest signs and these are the best you could come up with?
As I listed earlier there are 2 categories... Its clear which you both fall under. Hey its ok tho I know people who really believe tar baby and porch monkey are perfectly acceptable to use in social settings.

As I also said earlier racism is not just about blacks in America... As well as an explanation of the pictures...

If you're not even going to take the time to read my responses, I'm not going to take the time to respond any further.

Why are they protesting... laughable... They protest on "tax day" whilst receiving the largest tax cuts in history. They protest the bailout which has been repaid in full with profit... They protest "Obamacare" while enjoying Medicare and Social Security... They protest government spending as their children attend public school most likely bussed in on public roadway. They protest unemployment, food stamps, and everything that kept this sinking ship afloat...

BTW Binker holding a fucking stuffed monkey with a fucking noose around its neck as a protest sign pales in comparison to anything said or done against Bush. You've been watching too much Beck... Maybe you can not see the blatant fucking reference to lynching as well as comparing African genetics to apes. Again perhaps ignorance...? IDK...
Again, that was one person not the entire group. So the person at last weekends rally with the sign that stated "I masturbate to Christine O'Donnell" means that all democrats/liberals spank to a pix of O'Donnell? BTW, I can't stand Beck. You forget, I am an atheist and his mall demonstation made me ill. Please advise as to how all the stimulus money was paid back when over half has yet to be dished out? I'm 49 and not on Medicare and will probably not see SSI. My kids do attend public schools but I just ponied out $4,256 on school taxes and that was an increase from last year.
The context was that there are ignorant people on both sides and not to judge the entire group because of a few. I know a ton to tea partiers and they are to a person, good, hardworking descent people. I don't know any that have a racist bone in their body. It's not fair to judge the entire group based on some assholes' poster.
Your right, it was a horrible analogy. Look, I have a lot of problems with both sides. The fact that 99% of blacks voted for Obama I would assume means they are bigoted toward whites.
You are correct that the group had and has very loose parameters but that is because it is truly a grass roots movement without an organized leader. I have seen and heard of people with derogatory signs get called out by tea partiers and signs destroyed. I have yet to see that reported but I can attest it does happen.
Hi Binker -

You're right. Calling Bush a Nazi*** is over the top and had I seen whomever was burning him in effigy, I'd have been the first one to say "Dude, way uncool." But racist? No. If it was a group of non-whites burning a box of soda crackers to represent Bush, that would have been racist. But general burning in effigy has no specific ties to whites. By contrast, white people lynching a black person, represented by a monkey, has very specific, racist symbolism behind it.

You say one person holding a racist sign does not represent the entire group. Where then are the videos of the rest of the crowd coming down on that person saying "Dude, uncool?" Why is the blogosphere and conservative talk radio not bubbling over with people condemning such imagery? Because mostly what I'm seeing is the rest of the Tea Party actively cheering such imagery on.

If Tea Partiers are genuinely concerned with the economy and taxes on the lower and middle classes, where were they during the 8 years Bush was taking us from a budget surplus to a trillion-dollar deficit and raising taxes on all but the rich? Why did they only come out of the woodwork after Obama gets elected and lowers their taxes?

2008. 2 candidates for president. One's birth certificate shows he was born in the United States. The other, a third world country (Panama). I've seen both and neither looks any more or less fishy than the other. Why then did the Tea Partiers latch onto the US birth certificate as being "fake," but never once question why someone born in Panama was eligible to be president? Other than one of them was black with a non-christian name?

Your comment that you "will probably not see SSI" sounds like a complaint. You do realize it's one of those social programs the government is trying to shove down your throat, right? The Social Security Insurance program is actually operating at a surplus, does not add to the deficit, and funded well beyond the date you will become eligible. Unless of course the Republicans successfully put it in the hands of private, for-profit corporations. Do I take this to mean when you do start drawing SSI checks you will refuse to cash them in protest of government social programs?

In the same post you note that you are not on Medicare. If you were, would you suddenly be "for" government-run health care? If your support of a program is not directly tied to whether or not you personally and directly benefit from it, then how was that comment relevant?

On Christine O'Donnell; you do understand the masturbation connection right? That she is a fundamentalist Christian who's pet project in the past has been to advocate that masturbation is evil? In that context, I would proudly slap an "I masturbate and I vote" bumper sticker on my vehicle. As would most Liberals I know. So yes, whomever carried that sign does speak for most of us.

I do think my favorite sign was "I hate taxes. But I like roads, schools, libraries, fire departments, traffic lights and some cops. So I pay my taxes anyway."

That and "I spellcheck my political rage."

***And to be fair, Conservatives, with their higher values of Authority, Loyalty and Purity, inch closer to the the ideals of Facism and the Nazi party than Liberals, with higher values of fairness and harm/avoidance of harm.
I don't know too much about them. All I know is I've been hearing on CNN and Fox news that they mostly are concerned with America's financial future. They think government is getting too big and spending too much. I get the feeling that their message boils down to "hurt a little now" versus "hurt a lot later". I think the controversy is "who are these people who are going to hurt now"? The poor, elderly, minorities, the middle class? Oh the rich, who gives a damn about them. So fucking what - they have to sell some properties or whatever. But I think the Tea Party members think that if you try to tax the hell out of the rich people, it ends up hurting everybody including the poor much worse than if you did not tax the rich so much.

Hell if I know who is right and who is wrong. I don't know who to believe anymore.
All I know is I've been hearing on CNN and Fox news that they mostly are concerned with America's financial future. ... I get the feeling that their message boils down to "hurt a little now" versus "hurt a lot later".

I'd believe that if they formed during the 8 years that Bush was taking us from a budget surplus to a trillion dollar deficit, while cutting taxes for the richest and raising taxes on the poor.

But no; a black guy gets elected and then and only then do they notice there's a trillion dollar deficit and blame it on the black guy. They have bitched now for two years about "Taxed Enough Already," while ignoring the fact that our average taxes have been lower the last two years than any other time in the last 50. Of the last several presidents, the republican ones have far outspent the democrat.

They claim to be concerned about the financial state of the country. But their actions say that's just a facade.
Jerome - Oh boy, oh boy. Sometimes I don't think I'll ever figure all this stuff out. Both sides make good points.

Hey. Did you hear on the news today Obama said "punish our enemies" referencing the unions or whoever (I'm not sure). Since when does a president speak in such a manner to his own citizens. He worries me A LOT. More and more.

Punishing our enemies. Oh, so if I don't believe in unions president Obama is going to consider me his enemy that needs to be punished. Nice, very nice.
Well, Nixon had an enemies list. And the War on Drugs is nothing if not a war on the American people. Still, that's not a comment becoming a president. But he was referring to political enemies and friends of Hispanic voters. That doesn't strike me as all that worrisome. When you look at Obama's policies and actions, he's not exactly radical left-wing. The primary effect of the Affordable Care Act is to force more people to purchase health insurance from private insurance companies. Obama is as pro-business as any other Democratic president has ever been, and it's not like he's engaged in the kind of political dirty tricks that Nixon and Rove are famous for. The only reason anybody thinks Obama is a left-wing radical is because the right has moved so radically to the right over the years. Used to be only the nutty John Birchers thought like the Teabaggers. Now pretty much the whole right wing does. Obama is no further to the left than Eisenhower or Teddy Roosevelt.

© 2015   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service