The Big Bang Doesn't Deserve Your Faith. It Also Doesn't Deserve Your Tax Money.

I once heard a Unitarian minister say Unitarianism is for people who haven't kicked the church habit.

The Big Bang is for people who haven't kicked the faith habit.

It has preachers. They make claims. They spend billions of taxpayers' money looking for evidence and publish press releases claiming to have found it. The only peer reviews their claims get are by their fellow preachers. 

And they have their faithful, who have yet to kick their faith habit.

If there is a faith gene I'm one of thousands who don't have it. Many of us studied electrical engineering.

The Big Bang will become history when Congress stops spending taxpayer money on it.

Forty five years ago I was one of many who helped stop the flow of taxpayers' money to those who wanted to dam rivers. It was a struggle.

Views: 801

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't know if the BB is the most excepted of current origins theories.

It might be the best theory, assuming that the universe has an origin that is.

That's what puzzles me. why look for a beginning? Is it logical to suggest a beginning?

The thin gas or the ion cloud nullifies the BB evidence. The ion cloud gives creedance to energy flow better than thin gas.

I've heard many other theories and deem them so improbable to be not worth my mental energy

Jotham, since we are dealing with science, it’s important to use scientific terms.

The BB is an hypothesis, not a theory. 

In dictionary dot com, a theory is “a coherent group of propositions formulated to explain a group of facts or phenomena in the natural world and repeatedly confirmed through experiment or observation.”

In almost ninety years, little if anything about the B.B. has been confirmed. It is at best an hypothesis, an educated guess. In the 1920s, the mathematician Georges LeMaitre wrote some equations that allowed him to guess an origin. When Congress stops appropriating money for the BB, it will become a footnote in the history of science.

In some of the world’s minor religions it may live on.

Agreed. But do not most refer to it as "theory"?

Most who? Scientists or non-scientists?

Anti-science xians use the word “theory” to attack science, saying “It’s just a theory”.

Guess I'll have to check that. I don't remember hearing it referred to as other than a theory. And I have a B.Sc. in environmental science.

”Do You Need The Universe To Have Had A Beginning?”

Jothan, several years ago I used that query to open a discussion at another atheist website. One guy surprised me with a one-word reply, “Yes.”

I thanked him and in time learned that he was a highly intelligent man.

Xianity (12 years in Catholic schools) left marks in my mind too. In a memoir I wrote about becoming an atheist, I told of getting rid of them. I kept one mark, a love of the sound of a large pipe organ in a theater-like space playing jazz or classical music.

I don't understand what you are trying to say here.

Which part of what I said do you not understand?

Why did he give the one word reply "Yes"?

I didn’t ask. In what he has said since I heard a finality that told me the matter is closed.

Holy Cotton-picking FSM!

The data from NASA space missions are proving hundreds of Bangers’ predictions wrong, and proving EUers’ predictions right.

However, count on the Banger religion’s demi-gods to fight hard to keep their taxpayer-subsidized salaries. Starting taxpayer-subsidized programs (dam builders, weapons makers, highway builders, etc) isn’t easy. Stopping them is harder.

The EU sounds reasonable to me. I'm trying to think of a way they would go about testing it.

RSS

About

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

line

Nexus on Social Media:

line

© 2018   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service