The cost of masculine crime

"Men are, by a huge margin, the sex responsible for violent, sexual and other serious crime. The economic cost of this ‘masculine excess’ in delinquency is staggering - to say nothing of its emotional toll. Why is the social shaping of masculinity not an urgent policy issue?"

Don't give me the old bromide that testosterone did it! That is an excuse! A denial of self-responsibility! A claim that protects violent men from being held accountable. Both men and women suffer because of these brutes! 

"Of the one-third of a million people in England and Wales found guilty of an indictable offence in the 12 months ending June 2012, 85% were men. The more violent the crime, the more men predominate. From a unique table deep in the quarterly Ministry of Justice Criminal Justice Statistics Bulletin for England and Wales we learn that males were 88% of those found guilty of violence against the person, and more than 98% of those committing sexual offences."

Just as the women of Turkey, dressed from head to toe in heavy gabardine in 100 degree F weather, to conceal their bodies because men couldn't control their impulses to rape, so, men of many countries continue to think they are entitled to use and abuse women. Doesn't that sound sophomoric to you? How can anyone claim they can't control their natural urges? If men were subject to such impulses, doesn't that imply those who can't exist as less human than the gentler ones? More like beasts than Homo sapiens. 

Views: 862

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Interesting to note that this article is written by two women. George Carlin once called "testosterone" the most dangerous drug on Earth. There was a special on H-B-O about transexuals who were born female and striving to be male by injecting steroids (male hormones) into their bodies. They were interviewed and some of them opened up to admit that their entire lives had been changed by the "drug." That they had become more aggressive, more violent, more promiscuous in that they were having sexual encounters with strangers, etc.

A friend of mine was prescribed male hormones for some unknown reason to me. She said she literally saw red, as in rage! It didn't matter what she did, she was furious and aggressive. 

There must be some evolutionary advantage for men to be angry, however, we are past the lion in the rushes stage of human development. We live in a very different world and there is no reason to need all that testosterone. Even during the Machine Age, upper body strength was needed to handle heavy machinery, as the Agriculture Age needed strong arms and shoulders to handle beasts. No one has to do that heavy lifting these days. Even wars can be fought with computers. The greatest modern war machine is the ability to manipulate financial markets and that requires no body strength at all. It only requires a sense of entitlement and the desire to manipulate and exploit others. 

Patricia, visit the Urban Dictionary website and enter the acronym or initialism you don't know.

I bookmarked it on my computers and on my android smarter-than-I-am phone.

In some ways, I enjoyed the hairless body that I became. There were some benefits to chemo, other than killing those bugger cells. 

Yes, the transmen, the women who take testosterone to "become men", look very convincingly male.  Their faces change, they grow beards, they become muscular.

The idea is half appealing to me. 

What's funny about it?  Idea of koala with beard?

What's funny about it appealing to me?

There are a LOT of advantages to being male.  Some disadvantages.  Is it surprising that I would be interested in the advantages?

Also, I identified with my father somewhat.  Not with my mother. 

I've been called "male-identified" as a kind of feminist cuss-word.  It was a putdown that meant I'm not their idea of a "good feminist woman". 

You have  every  right  to be attracted  to whomever  you want

It seems you interpreted what I said as me being gay.  I don't know that I'm gay.  I've never had a lesbian relationship.

But the actual transmen mostly are very butch lesbians, from what I've heard.  "Becoming a man" by taking male hormones is the ultimate in being butch for them. 

I think the transmen look rather nice.  They are convincing as men - having a beard will do that for you :)  But there's still a softness you can see in their faces. 

I am appalled at the horrific onslaught of unspeakable brutality males inflict upon females, especially given the advent of education tools like web, books and media that one would think might curb this disturbing trend. Dimorphism can account I think for a small thought of perhaps inherent bullying and it seems insurance fraud, domestic jealousy, religious beliefs , etc just to name a few other causes. But for all intents and purpose it seems like just a general lack of actual education not just academically but domestically. Its a huge problem and I think being a woman in todays or any days time period carries extreme danger that can manifest itself if she does not treads life with exceptional caution. I have no answers but truly good men should take great pains to protect their daughters and wives. And yes Women are capable of similar trauma to men though it does seem a smaller percentage.  

Yeah, throughout history men have done most of the world's violence.

Also throughout history -- at least since agriculture became widespread -- women have preferred "alpha males" who could provide for children. Much of what these alpha males provided was taken from others through violence. 

In our own time women have been working for and winning equal rights. They have long shown themselves capable of even greater responsibilities. If homo sapiens does not destroy life on earth, violence will gradually become less useful.

I won't be around to see that future.

BTW, if someone else doesn't start a discussion on trannies, I might. I have a story about them but don't want to tell here where it will get lost in a discussion about male violence.

The equal rights are good, but we must also train ourselves not to pick the alpha male as a partner.

Start your thread, Tom, I'll read it.

RSS

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

line

Nexus on Social Media:

line

© 2017   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service