John Atcheson makes a convincing case that both parties represent the oligarchy and nobody represents the people, in The Greatest Story Too Rarely Told: America Is an Oligarchy.

Our nation is controlled by corporate power and the individually wealthy,

and the major press is in on the con.

... we’ve been accepting an unacceptable level of insanity in our national body politic for decades now.

... the two biggest elephants in our national living room.

Elephant number one is the fact that the Republican Party has come unhinged and it’s dragging us back to the Dark Ages.

Literally. To be a Republican today you have to have complete disdain for facts, reality, empiricism, the scientific method, or any of the other underpinnings of the Enlightenment. 

...16 of the hottest 17 years on record have occurred since 2000.  To deny the existence of climate change in the face of this kind of data is irrational. Saying so is not partisan or biased, it’s simply an accurate description of their behavior. The same is true of the GOP's position on health care, national budgets, state budgets, and tax policy. In all cases their policies are counterfactual and counterproductive.

... the press ..., they’re wholly owned subsidiaries of corporate America...,who this four-decade long scam benefits,...

They get to liquidate the earth and the environment... [emphasis mine]

image source

...for fun and profit with nothing but he-said/she-said stories from the elite establishment media.

Which brings us to elephant number two—the Democrats' embrace of the raw deal over the New Deal.

The idea that there is a party representing the left (or the people, for that matter) in the U.S. is ludicrous. We have a right-wing party representing the oligarchy—the Democrats

and an insanely right-wing party—the Republicans—that represents an extremist fringe of the rich, including folks like the Koch brothers, Betsy DeVos etc. 

... Bill Clinton brought ... centrism and corporatism to the Democratic Party, ... [emphasis mine]

In a race between those appealing to the passionately ignorant with contentious wedge issues and those paying lip service to progressivism while governing for plutocrats, the passionately ignorant will always win.

Today, there is a virtual army of think tanks that are paid to make the crazy sound sane, to lend legitimacy to the illegitimate, and to tamp down any signs of reason among the citizenry with a mixture of fear, hate, greed, blame, and xenophobia.

But the coup remains the greatest story never told, and the pretense of a left/right political dialectic goes on, with useful idiots like Democratic "strategist" Mark Penn suggesting we take the middle ground between the extreme right wing and the merely right wing, compromising ourselves into the Dark Ages. [emphasis mine]

In sum, Democrats pay lip service to progressivism while governing for plutocrats. - Excepting maybe for Bernie. - And nobody notices because mainstream media are totally owned by those plutocrats. Meanwhile the Republicans are unhinged from reality. <sigh> Are we screwed or what?

image source

Views: 89

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

People who pay attention have long known the term "our democracy" is a fiction. Less politely, it's a lie.

I have liked the thinking/saying that our political system can be called the Republocrats and/or The Purple Party.

In the 1787 Constitutional Convention, Alexander Hamilton said the rich and well born should govern.

President Kennedy inspired many of us with his, "Don't ask what your country can do for you. Ask instead what...."

Combine their words and we get, "Don't ask what the rich and well born can do for you. Ask instead what you can do for the rich and well born."

Welcome to the real America.

Trump seems to have mastered  "Don't ask what the rich and well born can do for you. Ask instead what you can do for the rich and well born." considering his dedicated followers.

And he continues the corporatist fiction that folks who are not rich are merely temporarily inconvenienced millionaires, so we should vote against our own interests and for the interests of the ultra-rich and well-born.

Trickle Down Economics has to be one of the most absurd notions to benefit the wealthy.

“And the so-called 'political process' is a fraud: Our elected officials, like our bureaucratic functionaries, like even our judges, are largely the indentured servants of the commercial interests.”

Edward Abbey

Okay, Abbey was feeling cynical--distrustful--when he wrote those words.

To see how cynical we're feeling, I'll edit his words slightly.

"... Some of our elected officials, like some of our bureaucratic functionaries, like even some of our judges, are largely the indentured servants of the commercial interests.”

Do you see some truth there?

Yeah, I have an agenda. We know that if people change their views, they change them slowly so I'll leave some space before I add more.

Tom,

I haven't heard of Edward Abbey until yesterday. Then, I read some his writings and I did feel pessimism from him. My local library have some of his books. I need a break from reading bios and history and perhaps should pickup some Abbey books.

As far as the statement goes, there is some truth to it, however, I would not use "indentured servants ". Historically , indentured servants were powerless and treated badly. Democrats and Republicans like to paint themselves as opposite forces that represents people they pretend to serve. But when it comes to corporate sponsorship, they are conjoined twins and are pampered as demigods.

"... Some of our elected officials, like some of our bureaucratic functionaries, like even some of our judges, are largely the demigods of the commercial interests.”

Thomas, people who contribute large amounts to candidates do NOT talk to the candidates as if they are demigods.

The candidates know they are to do earn the donations by obeying their donors.

If you find that hard to believe, become a candidate for a legislative body.

Tom,

You, I, and the rest here on A.N. know that they are not demigods... I was referring to the clueless American masses and their obsession with being entertained.

I am sorry I didn't express more. I needed to write out more but I was just up to it..

I can't become a candidate because I of what I am.... I am a social stigma with the general public and even in my own identifying group. BUT if I could, and I would, I would love to be elected just to stir things up, as my wife says, making trouble to prove a point. I don't like tip toeing around issues. And people who contribute large amounts of money don't want my kind persons for a candidate.

RSS

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

line

Nexus on Social Media:

line

© 2017   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service