The one thing to say about God's non-existence... and a bonus rant about the size of the universe.

What is the one good question/point/statement that you tell people to defend your atheism?

Views: 214

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Loving beings do not want to be worshipped, narcisistic beings want to be worshipped.
Loving beings do not want to be worshipped, narcisistic beings want to be worshipped.

Well put.
Yes, well put indeed.
Ooooo, John! I'm gonna REMEMBER that one!
Exactly!  Furthermore, I would argue that a narcissistic being doesn't deserve worship.  If god did exist then it must be the case that either he would not want to be or he would not deserve to be worshipped.  Therefore even if it were true both that there were a god and that morality was determined by his will, there still could be no moral imperative to worship him.
I think this is where Atheism has to come from in confronting theism.

Furthermore, I would argue that a narcissistic being doesn't deserve worship.  If god did exist then it must be the case that either he would not want to be or he would not deserve to be worshipped.  Therefore even if it were true both that there were a god and that morality was determined by his will, there still could be no moral imperative to worship him.

This is implicit in the statement that loving beings do not want to be worshipped, narcissistic beings want to be worshipped.

If you read the disproof in my homepage you will see this more clearly presented.

Oh- okay.  

It just seemed to me that many people would advocate worship and veneration of divinities regardless of narcissism.  Think of the tradition of a jealous god, or the panoply of vain Greek and Roman deities.  That's the only reason I thought it might not be redundant.

Obviously, most nontheists would balk at this.  I can certainly see, however, where it could be implied for any independant minded individual.  :)

Before we knew what the brain was for (just useless gray matter) there had to be something that gave us conciseness, so we gave the credit to our newest idea, the soul. It gave us the ability to think and even manipulate this earthly body with our heavenly soul. We found out that a soul wasn't necessary back when we found what the brain was for but we still held onto the soul belief.

Thanks Byron
What's the purpose of eternal life? It makes no sense!
Proof, proof, proof! PHYSICAL PROOF. OBSERVABLE PROOF. And then prove to me it isn't aliens. :D
Hmmm, didn't I say that a while back? [grin!]

RSS

© 2015   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service