Close your eyes and try to think of something labeled "God".  You can't!  You can think of unicorns, and pink polka dot elephants, and even Zeus and Hercules, but those aren't anything a theist would  label "God".  You can think of a huge bearded old man in the sky, like the one Michelangelo painted on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel, but that bearded old man is material and finite in size, nothing any theist would label "God".  Everything you can think of is finite in size and material.  You cannot think of anything to label "spiritual and infinite", yet that's what theists say in their "God"-talk.  All anybody can do is say the words.  So theists do not believe in or worship anything at all.  They just think they do, and speak as though they do, and feel emotionally as if they do.  But all they have is three alphabet letters in a row -- a capital G on the left, a little o in the middle and a little d on the right end. 

Views: 2189

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, John, you do.

Its kind of funny you mention this, because in a sense, modern day religious belief is the worship of other peoples experience. 

Cool,

I once had a dream I was talking to god, as we talked every time I looked at it it had a different appearance, all of them human, but it changed gender race age size during the conversation in my dream.

I found it very interesting, but as I reflected on what i could remember of the conversation after I awoke I realized what sounded so brilliant when I was asleep sounded kinda shallow and stupid once I was awake. Sometimes when I hear people label some rather shallow concept as "deep" I am reminded of that dream  and my experience with it.

RSS

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

line

Nexus on Social Media:

line

© 2017   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service