Today is International Human Rights Day, and the Third Anniversary of Augusto Pinochet's Death.

From Wikipedia: December 10, 2009, marked the 61st anniversary of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. Tom Malinowsky from Human Rights Watch in Washington commented that there had been progress in human rights over the last 40 years" "I think there is greater awareness around the world that people have fundamental rights and that those rights are enshrined in both law domestically and internationally"

Views: 18

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oh, I'd love to hear Ban Ki-Moon speak.

Also, yes. Augusto Pinochet dying at 91.
I am very out of touch with what's going on at the UN. I wonder if there's been any movement to add discrimination based on sexual orientation.
UN declaration on sexual orientation and gender identity (Wiki, therefore Wiki)

Voicing France's support for the draft declaration, Rama Yade asked: "How can we tolerate the fact that people are stoned, hanged, decapitated and tortured only because of their sexual orientation?"

It should be noted that Yade, a member of the French government, is also both a Senegalese citizen (Senegal opposes the declaration) and a Muslim. It makes her stand even more important to me.
Thanks Jaume. That's good to read.
International Human Rights Day the same day as the anniversary of Augusto Pinochet's Death.

There is some irony in that.
Isn't there? One of the most ironic days around.

RSS

© 2018   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: The Nexus Group.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service