US atheist organisation demands apology after Alabama university chancellor sends out video about importance of religion for democracy

Anyone hear about this in the news? What are your thoughts about it?

Atheists in the US are demanding an apology from a university chancellor who suggested religion is fundamental to a functioning democratic society. 

Jack Hawkins, the chancellor of Alabama’s Troy University, sent his students and staff a video about "religious freedom" as part of an end-of-year message, AL.com reported.

But American Atheists, a group that campaigns for the absolute separation of government and religion, criticised Hawkins for implying that those who do not believe in God cannot be "moral, law-abiding citizens".

In the 90-second clip Clay Christensen, a professor at Harvard Business School, details a conversation he had with a Marxist economist from China, in which the other man said democracy works because people believe that "they aren’t just accountable to society, they’re accountable to God".

Christensen then asks: "As religion loses its influence over the lives of Americans what will happen to our democracy?

"Where are the institutions that are going to teach the next generation of Americans that they, too, need to voluntarily choose to obey the laws. Because if you take away religion you can’t hire enough police."

Read the rest of the article at the link below: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-atheist-organis...

Views: 271

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Utter bullshit.  Apparently, this ding-dong doesn't believe in civics (though granted that civics education is rather thin these days), and it's clear he has no idea about the studies which clearly link religiosity with crime rate.  The issue of causality aside, that the two positively correlate is disturbing all by itself.

Thanks Steph

Mr. Hawkins needs to compair the number of Christans in our prisons to the number of atheist.  

I'd be interested to know if this entire fiasco was based on one poorly chosen word. While it may be that religion is "pervasive", I have a hard time believing a Marxist would consider it "important". The former does not necessarily support the latter.

But really, why do I care what a Marxist economist thinks? Furthermore, why should I care what this idiot chancellor thinks either? I get the impression the chancellor would support a Nazi if it would further the reach of religion. Oh wait, that actually happened.

The man has abused his position and inserted his personal beliefs where they don't belong. I think a slow disintegration would be a fine ending to this career, at which point he'll be thrown on the scrap heap of history, forgotten except for a footnote (which will rarely be looked at, except as a cautionary tale).

This country has some serious problems. None of which are going to be solved to crawling to Jesus.

Because if you take away religion you can’t hire enough police.

Obedience is the principal Christian virtue, which Christians like to see exemplified at every level. Children are to obey their parents, a wife is to obey her husband, slaves are to obey their masters, and subjects are to obey their God-appointed kings. The believer is to surrender his will to God and obey his commands without questioning.

For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous. Romans V:19

Obedience is the greatest of all virtues.

—St. Thomas Aquinas, II Sent. d. 44, ar. 1, sc. 2

All true knowledge of God is born from obedience.

—John Calvin, Institutes of the Christian Religion, Book I, Chapter 6, §2

So I guess this idiot believes that the reason we do not need more police right now is that criminals are afraid of god. That's insane.

The chancellor is on solid ground. Christendom and its influence on civilization is laudable. Without it wherefore the impetus for the crusades? And bloody wars of the 17th century?And inquisitions? And the reconquista? And the spectacle of burning flesh? And the compliant citizens who protected property interests of slave owners? And slave owners? And Christians who bravely participated in pogroms?

The majesty of the rule of law in a modern democracy giving freedom and civil rights would be impossible without brain branding christians shortly after birth. How else can unbridled speech in all its defiance be curtailed so that leaders who know best are free to operate without meaningful opposition?

The justice system has been working sufficiently without a god, because there isn't any god.

"Alabama, you got
the weight on your shoulders
That's breaking your back.
Your Cadillac
has got a wheel in the ditch
And a wheel on the track"

Neil Young.

Sigh, so many still believe that morality can only be derived from god fear.  If only they'd recognize that we are moral because we evolved that way as social critters it could save everyone a lot of trouble.

}}}}

RSS

About

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

Nexus on Social Media:

© 2020   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: The Nexus Group.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service