Noam Chomsky sees the upcoming election as critical for civilization's survival, and it ain't lookin' good. <sigh> Noam Chomsky: Democratic Party Centrism Risks Handing Election to T...

… I find it psychologically impossible to discuss the 2020 election without emphasizing, as strongly as possible, what is at stake: survival, nothing less.

Four more years of Trump may spell the end of much of life on Earth, including organized human society in any recognizable form.

Environmental catastrophe is an imminent threat. 

Trump and the political organization he now virtually owns are taking steps … — to exacerbate the crisis. 

A variety of demographic, structural and policy factors are converging to a situation where a small minority — white, rural, Christian, traditional, older, fearful of losing “their America” — will be able to dominate the political system.

If the donor class succeeds in nominating a centrist candidate, progressive activist forces might be disillusioned and reluctant to do the work on the ground that will be needed to prevent the tragedy — repeat, tragedy — of four more years of Trumpism. If a progressive candidate does gain the nomination, centrist power and wealth may back away, again opening the path to tragedy. It will be a fateful year.

I can't argue with him about the disastrous Democratic Party split contributing to a Trump power consolidation in 2020. 

image source, gradient mine, text from article

Thom Hartmann lays out how we already have most of the conditions oligarchs need to destroy democracy and establish dictatorship. I found his forthright naming of the Mercers and Koch brothers as oligarchs refreshing.

Revenge of the billionaires: How an oligarchy of the morbidly rich ...

For oligarchy to totally take down democracy, only three things are initially needed:

• Control of (or substantial influence over) a critical portion of the media
  • Legalization of bribery of public officials, so oligarchs can achieve majority control of the legislative process
  • Control of the most critical parts of the court system so they can control legal processes

A fourth element, once the oligarchy is well established, is the formation of a police state, ...

Views: 25

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

As usual, I'm "liking" not these facts but your reporting and sharing!

Things that do not make much sense lately is Hillary saying she might run as an Independent. After all, she really would like to be president. I have heard other things attributed to Hillary that make little sense. If she did run as an Independent she would succeed in driving Trump right back for 4 more years of this nonsense. The Mercers and Koch Industries would certainly be proud.

RSS

About

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

Nexus on Social Media:

© 2019   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: The Nexus Group.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service