This could be the end for me here

https://www.thomhartmann.com/blog/2017/05/protestor-convicted-laughing

Protestor Convicted for Laughing?

https://www.thomhartmann.com//sites/default/files/thom20and20logo_179_80.jpg" style="width: 156px; height: 156px; margin-right: 5px; margin-left: 5px; float: left;" class="CToWUd" width="156" height="156"/> Just one guffaw - that's all it took for Desiree Fairooz to go from a children's librarian and activist to someone facing serious jail time.

I'm not kidding here.

Back in January, Fairooz was arrested and removed from a Senate hearing after laughing at someone who said Jeff Sessions would treat all Americans equally.

As if to prove her point, she was then charged by the Justice Department with disorderly conduct.

Last Wednesday, she was convicted, and now faces up to a year in jail.

eric stone /span>atheist1a@gmail.com>

9:36 PM (6 hours ago)
to bcc: 2Kena, bcc: cbwc, bcc: craigbigham, bcc: Fay, bcc: Burt, bcc: Brenda, bcc: David, bcc: ellen, bcc: Pat, bcc: Rhoda, bcc: Lynne, bcc: jerrycru, bcc: Daisy, bcc: Susan, bcc: jergoodman, bcc: Tim, bcc: Gene, bcc: Larry, bcc: kay, bcc: Pat, bcc: crimpco, bcc: Alison, bcc: rod.l.miller, bcc: Earl, bcc: Peggy

Views: 226

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Does this mean I can proclaim Flying Spaghetti Monster as my true God?

That, and coffee.

Thank you, Tom, for tracking that down and also for a concise answer.

Someone didn't read carefully. I clicked on the link to AlterNet and found:

In Kentucky, a law requires the state’s Office of Homeland Security to post a plaque recognizing the power of the Almighty God--and violating this law could result in 12 months in prison.

I did NOT look for the law itself, so if AlterNet is correct a state office is required to post a plaque.

This sounds like an InterNet hoax, maybe fake news. Who will be jailed, the manager of the state's department of homeland security who did not post the plaque?

However, if there is such a law, it might be an attempt to violate the US Constitution's First Amendment in a way that denies standing to take the law to court.

If it's true that American Atheists sued, then to have standing they would need an AA member who lives in KY who could claim s/he had been harmed, perhaps by being considered outside the preferred theist class.

According to this article, the plaque is up.

https://www.au.org/blogs/wall-of-separation/homeland-insecurity-ken...

Here is the actual legislation

http://www.lrc.ky.gov/statutes/statute.aspx?id=41876

Apparently the law also includes " agency training and educational materials." of the Almighty God.

Thanks, Thomas.

As it was in ancient Rome, it still is in America:
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful.
-- Seneca

If anyone starts enforcing a law that says it is illegal to be atheist then you are at liberty to make up any outrageous god claim that you want to. If this ever changes in America and the god in question becomes the biblical god and that god only, then we have become worse than ISIS or any other radical religious regime. The guarantee of religious freedom in our Constitution should mean "either/and/or" in the selection of gods and religion, also meaning you have the freedom NOT to have gods and religion. The unfortunate thing is that society cannot see this. People want to force you to believe in and worship their god. Of course, all the other gods are wrong.

If you get right down to it this is the silliest damned thing I have ever heard of. It becomes worse when apologists try to justify it.

Everybody who doesn't believe in Thor should be tossed in the clink. That's exactly how much sense this makes.

trump has managed to lead a religious-right coup against democracy in the USA.  Just like Hitler he has used the methods of democracy to destroy democracy. The religious right he works for have been at war with freedom and democracy ever since the church cursed the magna carta in the 13th century. We atheists have seen this coming for a long time now and have been sounding the alarm but the US is so dominated by a tyrannical religious majority that it is happy about the coup. I don't know if even our ability to vote will still be intact by the time 2018 rolls around.  If it's not it's either time to leave the county or revolt.

eric, when 535 people in Washington DC make the laws, America is an oligarchy. It has never been a democracy.

Thanks for the update on our loss of free speech. <moan> 

RSS

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

line

Nexus on Social Media:

line

© 2017   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service