Ughh, so it has been a thing with my family for my entire life that we get together for lunch on Sundays. No big deal, and I generally get along well with them, and enjoy spending time together. Anyway, they are all Southern Baptist Christian, and I have to put on the 'smile and nod' routine with them, since being out would cause too much strife. I don't 'join' in the blessing, and I usually avoid engaging in religious disussion, but I almost found myself in a bit of a pickle today.

First thing, my grandma (who is essentially the kindest human I have ever encountered) was discussing church, telling my mom (who didn't make it to service) how few people were there, and that the pastor seemed as if he were a bit depressed. She didn't direct anything toward me, but I couldn't help but get the feeling she was sorta steering that way without saying as much. (Could just be my overly analytical tendencies though.) Conversation continued amongst them, and after doing some prep on the meal, I sat down with a small bite of spinach stuff, to taste test and see if it was any good. Now, normally, no one would have batted an eyelash. Mom usually gets some type of gnosh for us to share while the food is cooking. But today, my grandma's husband said, "Aren't you going to say a blessing before you eat that?" I looked up with a bit of a deer-in-the-headlights expression, and replied, "Uhh, I... Was just trying it out..." My grandma said, "Oh, you can just say one to yourself." My sister agreed. Then Mom chimed in, "She's just being the guinea pig." As I was clamoring internally at how to do damage control, the rest of the fam gathered 'round the table and they said the blessing, so it was dropped. PHEWW...

The rest of the afternoon went by as usual, though they had a few more theologic conversations, but didn't try to draw me in. I did add that Seventh Day Adventists indeed do not believe in secure salvation (as my husband was raised Adventist, he's agnostic/weak atheist btw), and they rambled on about it being false doctrine and all. Of course, I couldn't help but smirk internally, as all their 'doctrines' are false.
So yeah, it was a bit stressful, but crisis averted... This time.

As an aside, it seems that they zero in a bit more on me when my husband isn't there... *sighhh*

Any advice for keeping them off my back in the future?

Views: 182

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This may be unpalatable for your family prayer, but it may be appropriate at a family get togehter of Abrihamic folks.  If they don't get it it's even better. Their eyes may glaze over with lack of understanding.

“Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?”

― Epicurus

Epicurus

RSS

About

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

Nexus on Social Media:

© 2019   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: The Nexus Group.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service