What are the qualities you require a person to have before considering a relationship with them? (employment, education, a pulse, etc.)
What qualities will you NOT accept? (unemployment, illiteracy, room temperature liver, etc.)
(Both questions should be related to what you consider 'show stoppers'.)
Oddly enough, I find a fair number of women who meet MY requirements. Usually the problem is that I don't meet HERS. Often her list looks like this:
- Extremely tall.
- Amazingly handsome.
- Income in the top 1% of the population.
- Must live in the "right" neighborhood.
- Must drive the "right" car.
- Must have gone to the "right" school.
- Must have voted for the "right" candidate.
- ... and about a dozen other things that disqualify me.
Isn't it usually the women who tries to change her partner?
Women get married, thinking the man will change. Men get married, thinking the woman won't.
Unacceptable, in random order:
1. Bad teeth
2. Bad acne or other skin conditions
3. Shorter than me (but I'm 5'2'' so it's not an unreasonable request)
4. A job that makes too little money (I'm not a gold digger, but I don't work my ass off to support some bum)
6. Very overweight (I used to be very overweight and worked my ass off to get to a decent shape and health level, and I'm always working hard to improve it further, I don't need some bacon chompin' turd on a couch asking me for a beer and a pizza and dragging me down to fat town with him)
7. Owns overalls
8. Doesn't bathe daily
9. Doesn't keep his own home clean
10. Doesn't do his own laundry
11. Is too dependent (I guess the last three are in that column?)
12. Dirty hair
13. Has ever appeared on Jersey Shore
14. Is stupid
15. Doesn't chase me
18. Doesn't like animals
19. Has kids
Personally, I'm not all that concerned with skin tone, hair color, eye color, shoe size, etc. I find myself gravitating toward non-American men for some reason, Asian and European in particular, but it's honestly not conscious. I guess that means I like "exotic" guys? I dunno.
Heh, I had a roommate once whom that would drive nuts. He's 5'1" and has all sorts of dating problems, because of that. You cruel, cruel woman. :-P
The explanation fits my exact reason for the same requirement. Nice.
I exercise my self-control at the checkout. If I was living with a girlfriend who takes horrible care of herself and always keeps junk food around the house, I'd be screwed. Also, when I try to do something active for at least an hour a day, it would sure as hell help to have someone to help push me along.
Similar history here, too. At one pathetic point in my life, I was about 80 pounds heavier than I am now. It wasn't for a very long time, but gave me the massive (err, ahem ... wow, what a pathetic pun) wake-up call about the eating habits I had been taught growing up. I'm a vegetarian now, and I don't touch fried foods.
Wow, they still sell those?
That's not covered by #8?
Whoops, oh well. I'm screwed.