When someone comments that they will pray for you, what do you say back? Even when I was a pretending christian I felt awkward when people said they would pray for me....

Two hands working can do more than a thousand clasped in prayer. - Anonymous

and another one I am pseudo-quoting since I can't find a reference at the moment........

Helping hands are far more useful than praying ones.

Views: 1080

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

yes, and it's especially tough in high school b/c they love to nail you down to an opinion! sounds like you are a great teacher :).
I had a student a few years ago who confidently told me he was going to do his research paper with a thesis stating that there was proof that God existed. It was a chore to talk him out of that one without coming off as condescending.

Last I heard, he told me he was a deist.
oh geeze, that would have been a tough one. i can't imagine. i had a third grader tell me once that obama was only elected b/c he was black. gee, i wonder where he would get an idea like that. needless to say i had to choke back my true reaction.
I often have students who want to friend me on Facebook. I'll accept seniors only, and even then I have them set up as a group with limited access to my personal info. Several of them have been shocked when I move them over to the "regular folks" group after they graduate.
I think that because it is before school hours they're allowed to meet. It is truly a thin line that I walk. About ten years ago I let a few people I worked with know I was atheist. It was difficult after that because they no longer wanted to talk with me. It was as though I had a disease they could catch....I didn't let it bother me too much, but still it's no fun being the odd person out. I no longer talk about religion. I'm frustrated though because I have to hide such a large part of who I am.

I teach art in an elementary school right now. Most of the time I like it because I can introduce multiple cultures and their beliefs from perspectives that are academic. When I discuss the religious practices I always find humor in the fact that the students think the people are crazy for believing it. The past two years ancient Greece has been a large focus in third grade and I have an architectural lesson I teach. Greek Mythology is always discussed and in every class at least one student asks...did they really believe that stuff?
i couldn't reply to your last comment for some reason about the greek mythology, etc. your tongue must be bruised from biting down on it so hard, lol. here's the class i want to teach, beginning in first grade: critical thinking 101.
It depends on who says it to me. If is a stranger it is usually an o.k. fine type of response with about as much attached. If it is someone who knows me well enough to know better...well most of them have stopped bothering.
As Rita would have said
"Never mind"
Sorry, did I miss someone who says "Oh my, no not that! What is wrong, am I dying?" "Please, don't bother him, I don't want to draw attention to myself just now" "Can you please pray for me later, or am I o.k. and don't need divine attention for this?" "Shewww, I thought it was serious for a moment."
Followed by other overly dramatic behavior.
I'm pretty new to atheism, so perhaps I've not given this much thought. Sure their prayer will have as much impact as calling down the moon or dancing naked around a fire (though that would be more entertaining for the neighbors), but as long as they will call 911 and apply the appropriate CPR in an emergency before calling on their deity of choice I'm not offended by them praying for me.
My standard answer is "Your time, pal, not mine."
I generally say something like "Eris bless you too."
You gonna sacrifice a goat with that?

RSS

About

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

line

Nexus on Social Media:

line

© 2018   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: The Nexus Group.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service