what we can do ?

Views: 2476

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If science does prove a god, the next question would be if this god is worthy of worship, or whether it even is affected by it.

It really depends on the god that gets proven. If the god in question is Yahweh, then we would have a very strong imperative to do more science in order to figure out a way to kill the bastard.

Seems like this,

Haha. Love this pictograph. So true

I get asked that question every time I talk with a theist about why I don't believe in the existence of a god or anything metaphysical or supernatural.  The first thing I have to explain is that nothing can make me believe.  God CAN'T exist.  No god being (or a being worshiped as a god) can substantiate themselves as the creator of the universe or as some sort of authority that we should grovel to and ask how high when he says jump.  It's impossible.  No being CAN be god.  But for a second assume god exists: this "god" created the endless suffering of innocent creatures who don't understand why nature is so cruel (it is however, explained quite will by evolution by natural selection), and therefore he is at fault for being evil.  If he was in the slightest bit good, suffering wouldn't exist, and he would know how to preserve free will without physical and mental suffering, so that eliminates the "garden of eden experiment" hypothesis.  If I were this all-powerful, all-knowing god, I'd eradicate suffering in a nanosecond, which of course is an eternity for an immortal, all-knowing and omnipresent being.  But this goes off course from my original point.  The god hypothesis implies the existence of what it's trying to prove before it tries to prove it.  It falls off the rails of anything rational, sane or compassionate.

I also say that science has taken apart the physical universe so thoroughly that it has been revealed to be far from the creation of a single mind who has a single purpose.  I try to diminish the theist's arrogance that the universe, which is unfathomably big in it's entirety, is here just for the enjoyment and use of an ugly, violent species that stockpiles weapons of planet-wide annihilation of all life.

Power corrupts; Absolute power corrupts absolutely;
God is all-powerful. Draw your own conclusions.

I like your answer!  

Once the proof is provided, let me know, and I'll answer the question.

I'm assuming the original post meant the Christian God; so what would happen if science proves the existence of the Christian God?

People then have a choice to make: they could sell out their own moral sensibility for the chance of eternal life in heaven, or they could fight for the freedom to their way of life. It would be the same as life under any autocratic ruler. Imagine Iran: If you believe and follow the rules of the leader, you may lead a relatively privileged life. Otherwise, you might be stoned or burned.

This leads to the question: If God does exist, is God's morality objective or subjective? What makes God exempt from subjectivity?

There could be thousands of answers depending on which god we're talking about.  

If I understand correctly, the average christian god demands faith and insists on remaining hidden.  That means science could never prove his existence.  Being smarter that human scientists, he could remain hidden forever.

If he changed his mind and let science prove his existence, then he would not be god.  At least not the god that is supposed to be the same yesterday, today, and forever.

My mind is going around in circles on this subject because people's ideas of god are all over the place, contradictory, and can't be pinned-down, which is good evidence that gods are man-made ideas.

Taking the question at face-value, the god that science could prove existed would be one that did not demand faith, but one that perhaps started the big-bang and/or evolution and then took a hands-off approach, leaving us to our own devices.  That god doesn't sound as scary as the others, but who knows.  There are too many possibilities to answer the question what can we do?

As long as I'm participating in this topic, I'll just add some of my thoughts that I find interesting.  I think it highly likely that someday "gods" will reveal themselves to scientists.  They will do amazing things that will convince most people that they are gods.  But, of course, they won't be gods -- just scientists that have been around millions or billions of years longer than humans and know how to do "miraculous" things.  Because they will be scientists, I think they will be truthful and tell us they are not gods.  I'd love to see that day.  Beings that advanced may even know how to survive the expansion of the universe (the big freeze), or even how to survive the big crunch, if the expansion reverses.

Blah Blah Blah !
What is science ?, is religion is sort a science ?.Methinks,science is just a thought which makes us straightfoward.

Support Atheist Nexus

Supporting Membership

Nexus on Social Media:

© 2015   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service