What is a favorite non-theist book of yours or what are you reading now?

I was happy to find "The Six Ways of Atheism" at my library. When I checked out this book, a young male librarian asked if I was doing a project for school (uh, it's summer time, meat head). I told him it was for my own personal self and the turned away with a disgusted look that was priceless! He didn't even say good-bye! As I walked away I told him this was a great book and that I recommend he reads it (of course I hadn't read it yet).     

My two favorites are Dan Barker's Losing Faith in Faith and David Mills' Atheist Universe.

Views: 251

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Still waiting for David Mills to be my friend on here.    :(
Yes! Origin of Species! I call myself a Darwin fan but how can I truly be if I haven't read his book yet. Will check out the Kindle book tonight.   :)

if you do not have time to read it , Dawkins made an audiobook to it.

but it is a quick read, re-read .

Haven't really been reading much non-fiction this summer. A friend of mine loaned me his copy of  "Lamb, the gospel according to Biff." by Christopher Moore. One of the funniest books i've read in a long time. After that I've been reading as much of his work as I can find. So far I've read "Fluke" and "Practical Demon Keeping".

how about a nice movie such as

Life of Brian

Thanks, I will add to my list. ;)
or "Paul"!
I haven't really read too many atheist books, but from the ones I have read my favs are The God Delusion and The End of Faith by Sam Harris. I tried reading God is not Great, but it's just way too dry for me. It's not really a non-theist book per se, but I read and thoroughly enjoyed Stephen Hawking's The Grand Design, which offers a nice scientifc alternative for the origins of the universe to goddidit.

I'm reading Sarah Vowel's book now: "The Wordy Shipmates".  Just started it last night.  It's about the Puritan dissenters who sailed from England to NEW England in 1630 to start a new life in the new world.  Vowel is both educational and comical.  Her writing is both historical and hysterically funny.   Just finished her short story book: "Take the Cannoli", and loved it.  I'm on a roll and will be reading "Partly Cloudy Patriot" next.  Can you tell I'm hooked on her writing style??

In my small atheist collection, I own Sagan's "Demon Haunted World", Dawkins' "God Delusion", Dennett's "Breaking the Spell", and 2 books by Susan Jacoby: "Age of American Unreason" and "Freethinkers". 

Ladies: just picked up Sarah Sentille' s " Breaking up with God". If I weren' t typing this from my phone I would tell you more, but basically it is written from her standpoint as an almost Episcopal priest who decided to "divorce" god. Well-written, funny, and a love story like no other.
I've never read any atheism-centered books, I'm not sure that I would enjoy them since I don't need to further convince myself that I am an Atheist. However, I do enjoy learning about amazing reality of life and one my favorite books is on Human Evolution that I've read for a class in college. It has become an important hobby/interest of mine since then (which was two years ago or so), I always follow up on new findings. The announcement of Ardipithecus Ramidus discovery was everything I could talk about for days. All thanks to a Physical Anthropology textbook.

Right now I am passively reading a book on Physics, I suppose that's an Atheist book in some sense.
There's so many I could put here.  I like Dan Barker's "Losing Faith in Faith", Richard Dawkins "The God Delusion".  I'll have to buy that Mills' book "Atheist Universe'.  Sounds really good.

RSS

© 2015   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service