In the final analysis, faith remains the last resort of believers who argue that their god exists and that everyone, us included, needs to believe to earn a place in an undemonstrated heaven or be sent to a hell which is equally unproved.  It is the irrational insistence which dogs all of us at one time or another when we want to insist on substance as they make outlandish claims about deities, saviors, and afterlives.

Practically from the beginning of my awareness of him, Aron Ra has had a substantial mad-on about faith.  His definition – "an unreasonable assertion of complete conviction which is not based on reason and is defended against all reason" – unapologetically nails faith to the wall and refuses any slack or wiggle room.  For many of us, that statement by itself is sufficiently damning.

Apparently not for Aron, though.  The following video is a painstaking and thorough dismantling of the concept of faith, wherein he very purposefully dissects and disassembles the excuses and apologetics and cuts through to the core of the utter BS which is unsupported belief.  As with everything Aron seems to do, this piece is as complete as he can make it, and I recommend it without hesitation.

Please enjoy.

Views: 114

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I like watching him and wish I had his knowledge. 

You and me, both, Michael.  Add to that the fact that Aron is just plain good people.

What are you talking about Loren? He is just an ape and proves it in an entire series; The Systematic Classification of Life! Though his presentation is inarguable, I have faith that it does not apply to me!

So?  Apes can't be good people?

Nope I did not come from a monkeee! Howdy Loren!

I'm not inclined to argue.  Fact is, you don't look a bit like Micky Dolenz!

LOL good to speak with you again!

Good to see you as well!

If we each donate a dollar we can implore him 2 get a haircut.

Ummmm, I don't think so, Frankie.  That's his look, and I happen to know that he LIKES his look.  Non-starter, methinks.

I listened. He is sharp. However his definition of faith needs to be expanded

As for the hair I am Just jealous.

Expanded how?  This is what I get from Google, in re: "faith:"

1. complete trust or confidence in someone or something.
  2. strong belief in God or in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual apprehension rather than proof.

That "spiritual apprehension" is the key phrase to me, mostly because "spiritual" cannot be tied down in any meaningful or objective fashion.  "Spiritual apprehension" amounts to "personal experience:" subjective, individual, and in no way necessarily related to anyone else's experience or to reality.

My own definition of faith is essentially: "belief without evidentiary support."  His – "an unreasonable assertion of complete conviction which is not based on reason and is defended against all reason" – is considerably more specific, but I'm not certain I find any flaw in it.  If you do, I'd like to hear your reasoning.

RSS

About

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

Nexus on Social Media:

© 2019   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: The Nexus Group.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service