I live in a very religious town, so I hear this saying about 2 or 3 times every week, whether it be to me or someone near me.  I usually don't respond when it is said to me, but what do you think a good response would be?

Views: 5481

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

More Christian Comments

I just walk past those crazy people in the street. It's best not to make eye contact.

*eyetwitch* that is very sparkly...
I also don't respond and just smile ,the problem is we don't want to hurt their feelings . maybe the best is to answer with a question like " how do you know ".
"Hmmm, you mean like all those priests loved all those altar boys?!?"
"Oh, Hi my name is [Name here], I'm an atheist and I don't believe in any god or gods. Have a nice day!"

It's not Jesus I'm worried about it is all his followers.

A friend saw a t-shirt that said 

(us from your followers)

Loves me!?! More like obssessed! He's been blowing my phone up every day for a week!
"No, he's only in love with the idea of me."

"Yeah, that's why he's going to throw me into hell. That kind of "love" I can do without". You could simply say, "That kind of love I can do without".

You could also say, "Really, where does it say that in the Bible". I'm hard pressed to find a text that says Jesus Loves anyone. In John 14, you have this....

Jesus replied, “Anyone who loves me will obey my teaching. My Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them.

Theologically it's not the love of Jesus the Son but the love of God the father that is the root of the saving work they are talking about. Jesus obeys the Father and goes to the cross but it is Jesus' love for the Father, not his love for the world that motivates that work. God plans and orders salvation, Jesus accomplishes it and the Holy Spirit applies it. That is Christian theology. It's been a long time since I've done this but I'd challenge them to find a text and quote it to me chapter and verse.

Then again Jesus also executes the judgment of God so like I said, that's love I can do without.

Support Atheist Nexus

Supporting Membership

Nexus on Social Media:

© 2015   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service