What's the difference between a Conservative and Liberal?

Curious - basic question:

What's the difference between a Conservative and Liberal?

Views: 397

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid; I meant, that stupid persons are generally Conservative. I believe that to be so obvious and undeniable a fact that I hardly think any hon. Gentleman will question it.

--John Stuart Mill

“... a fact that I hardly think any hon. Gentleman will question.”

Bert, I question JS Mill’s thinking, and who (besides yourself, of course) will say that I, like Julius Caesar, am not honorable?

Today’s GOP establishes beyond doubt that conservatives are cruel, especially the xians.

I’m not persuaded that liberals are thinking clearly about the dollar cost of their enthusiasms.

Jeez! Tom, you can be snarky! 

Take note, fellow atheist, Tom can be snarky with the nicest people!

How come you aren't snarky with me? 

Joan, I’ve been doing politics since 1972 and do not see “naive” and “nice” as synonyms. The former results from innocence, or idealism.

In a teacher certification course I learned that idealism peaks at age twelve and slowly declines during the teen years. 

Share with us some of your thinking on the reasons that some of us:

1) remain idealistic for decades, and/or 

2) may swing like pendulums between idealism and cynicism.

Though my ancestors were German, not Dutch, I sometimes talk like a Dutch uncle.

"Share with us some of your thinking on the reasons that some of us:

1) remain idealistic for decades, and/or 

2) may swing like pendulums between idealism and cynicism."

I don't know about others, but I remain, mostly, idealistic because I know that Homo sapiens have the capacity to be so much more than social darwinists. Violence is a learned behavior and so is kindness and compassion. What does it cost one to be thoughtful of others even as one refuses to sacrifice oneself for another. 

I see no virtue in throwing oneself onto a tossed handgranade, even as I do see value in communication, problem solving, and conflict resolution. What if two enemies take the time and effort to understand the enemy?

There are some with whom one cannot reason. I know that. What is the remedy in those cases?

acquiesce

argue

bring out the big guns

flight

obey

pray

submit

turn the other cheek

yield

There must be more options, but this is all I can think of at this moment. 

Joan, I see a lot of realism in what you wrote, though:

1) praying isn’t on my list, and

2) I have only two cheeks.

Some foot soldiers do throw themselves onto grenades. Others don’t have the opportunity and simply shoot themselves. Don’t assume a reason.

negotiate?

I would add that, Chris.

Why am I not snarky with you?

Fear.

Why do you fear me? 

You have far more knowledge of and experience with humankind than I.

In the subjects I know better than you, such as cosmology, I don’t fear you.

And you, Tom, dance circles around me when it comes to political strategy. 

RSS

About

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

line

Nexus on Social Media:

line

© 2018   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service