What's in a name? (If you are atheist BUT your given name has religious meaning)

I am one of those free-thinking individuals christened as "Dominique" -- ah, how godly indeed.

I was baptized and confirmed at the age when I could not protest, hence am stuck with the name (for now).

I wonder if anyone of you share the same experience about having a "religious" name and if so, what do you think about it? Are you considering having it changed?

Come to think of it, there aren't many atheist names apart from the obvious (viz. Darwin)

Views: 1119

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, is it Christian?

Or maybe Christoph, with English Christopher and French Christophe ?

This is a delightful thread. I hope more members will join in.
The Cardinal Sin story is an absolute joy.
my friend's brother's name is Kristian. but his mother is a pretty hardcore irish-american catholic. so even with that K in there, there's a pretty direct connection, i'd say.
Before my father met my mother, he was in a Catholic seminary, ready to vow a life of celibacy. I will not discuss his reasons for leaving, but I was rendered an entirely religious name as a result of his years in pretend friend school. My first name is Paul, named after the crazy roamer who really got the ball rolling for Christianity. My last name is Augustine, which may have been intentionally picked by a relative when they entered the U.S. over a century ago. St. Augustine is one of my dad's personal favorites, so Paul and Augustine became a good combo for him to assemble. I can't tell you how upset he is now that I rejected his religion!
I was named Paul, presumably after the "women should not speak in church, but be in submission" apostle.
My name (Dylan) comes from a Welsh god of the sea. Not religious in the sense you there asking about though, I'm sure.
Well, my first name is Douglas which is Scottish (originally Dubhghlas) for 'Dark River' or 'Blood River', not very religious.

However, my last name is Christensen which is danish for 'Son of Christen'. Christen being a variant of Kristen, which itself means 'Christian'... which comes from the Latin name Christianus meaning "a Christian"

So, in a round about way my last name means 'Son of a Christian'.
^^^^ points to name

Me mom actually named me after a soap opera character but everytime I've been around a xtian that have to remind me what it means ugh...So am I gift from nothing eh? great
My name is Zeke short for Ezekiel. No doubt about the origins of my name...
My friends and I always joke about this instance because the book of Ezekiel deals with the subject of blasphemy... Ironic?
Name's Jennifer, which means....{googling}...."white wave; white phantom; fair; smooth." Hm. Here's the thing, I always knew that if I ever had a son I would to give him a biblical name like Ezekiel, Elijah, Isaac, or Isaah just because I like the sound of them. The girl will be named Agrippa....just kidding...it'll be Agnes (luv that name!)
Yeah I feel the same way, I really like biblical names. For me it's Ezekiel and Genesis.
I played a Shadow Run character named GennaKiss lol.
I am Thomas the name is of greek origon and was the name of some guy in the bible who doubted jesus. Fitting huh.

Update Your Membership :

Nexus on Social Media:

© 2016   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service