Whether I should try and protect a friend or mind my own business??

We all know internet scams are here to stay. I think most of us, on this site anyway, can spot one easily enough. Which brings me to this. A friend of mine friended a man on Facebook. 'Sam' said he was in the army, has an eight year old son that his mother is keeping while he's stationed in Africa, and that he will retire in September. With full benefits of course and a ranch/business he owns in Texas. 'Karen' isn't a stupid woman but she is lonely and bored. She has one grown son and the same job that she started after high school.
When she told me about him she told me that every one had warned her it was a scam. So I just told her to be careful.
Fast forward two weeks. Now his son has been in a tragic accident and Sam needs two thousand dollars to pay the hospital or his son will be discharged. I hate to see her get ripped off but she's not asked for my opinion and I haven't​ offered it.

If any of you were in this position what would you do?? Would you volunteer your opinion or just keep quiet??

Views: 514

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"The best way to tell it is a con is it comes from the best, most trustworthy person.”

That seems wise. I’ve done a lot of research on psycho/sociopaths, who may be the world’s most persuasive salespeople. The numbers I’ve seen are that from one to four percent of unincarcerated people qualify as such, and from 20 to 25 percent of incarcerated people do.

Not in any way to suggest that clergy are psycho/sociopaths but it has struck me in the past that they are very much like salesmen. They may or may not actually believe in the product. They are expected however, to sell it. Moving product/evangelism  does seem to be the priority above and beyond the actual product. 

David Silverman helpfully notes there are two types of preachers: liars and victims.

I agree with that.

Some preachers are victims?... That is difficult to accept. I think many are liars and others just want power....a few have genuine concern but based on false premises.

Marjoe Gortner was a child evangelist who was waterboarded by his parents in order to get him to learn his lines. He was a success but in no way a believer. The parents made money. His first name came from putting together Mary and Joseph,- hence Marjoe. In 1972 he exposed it all in a film titled "Marjoe" and traded in his religion for a moderate movie career.

Morjoe parents waterboarded him? Is that legal under faith prayer laws?

What he means is the ones who actually believe the bullshit they pedal are the victims.

... the ones who actually believe the bullshit they pedal are the victims and those who don't believe the bullshit they pedal are psycho/sociopaths. I'm remembering Catholic priests.

How about the president of Turkey - Erdogan. He had a referendum vote to rid Turkey of a secular government thus making it an Islamic one. He stated that a No vote would have consequences in the afterlife. In other words: vote against him and you will go to hell. His country wants EU membership.

John, that's funny. That's how religion gets people. With threats followed by promises of a heaven that sounds like it would bore a person to death anyway. An eternal life worshipping a sadistic terrorist surrounded by fool's holds no appeal for me.

Have her verify by calling the hospital and checking on the patient. 

RSS

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

line

Nexus on Social Media:

line

© 2017   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service