Whether I should try and protect a friend or mind my own business??

We all know internet scams are here to stay. I think most of us, on this site anyway, can spot one easily enough. Which brings me to this. A friend of mine friended a man on Facebook. 'Sam' said he was in the army, has an eight year old son that his mother is keeping while he's stationed in Africa, and that he will retire in September. With full benefits of course and a ranch/business he owns in Texas. 'Karen' isn't a stupid woman but she is lonely and bored. She has one grown son and the same job that she started after high school.
When she told me about him she told me that every one had warned her it was a scam. So I just told her to be careful.
Fast forward two weeks. Now his son has been in a tragic accident and Sam needs two thousand dollars to pay the hospital or his son will be discharged. I hate to see her get ripped off but she's not asked for my opinion and I haven't​ offered it.

If any of you were in this position what would you do?? Would you volunteer your opinion or just keep quiet??

Views: 505

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Michael, when I was on Facebook I was constantly annoyed by different people trying the scam things. Once I took the page down I haven't been bothered.

On Facebook I am Deno Penno. It's African shing lingo.

Sometimes it is fun to play with them.

so what was it that caused your friend to resist the urge to help?

Glen, I think it was the tactic he used. Career army without health care for a dependent. Plus the ranch/business and no way to get the money to cover a child's healthcare costs?? And, he made the mistake of addressing her as Jane one time. And everyone she spoke to about him told her it was a scam. I believe it was a combination of all of these things.

Yes, career army dependents are covered for health care. Either he was lying about being career army or dependent not having acess to health care. Either way, he lied. 

Whew, I'm sure glad Facebook took him down. Good thinking.

Of COURSE he is lying.  He just a scammer from Africa who is trying to get money.

I could tell your friend about all the career army men who have approached me on Facebook.   I feelsorry for any REAL army people on Facebook.

Glad everything worked out.  

Kathy I'm glad it turned out ok!

RSS

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

line

Nexus on Social Media:

line

© 2017   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service