Which came first Myths or Gods? Were gods created to explain and support myths or vice versa?

I tend to think that the myths originated first.
Such as natural events occurred and either divided or destroyed much of a particular tribe / culture and people tried to make sense of these events with stories and mythical concepts which needed some kind of rationalization, or base.

Due to humans internal agency detection mechanism, adding an agent or supernatural mind to the explanation / myth solidifies it in the minds of the villagers / tribal members as rational.

Different events create different mythical explanations which in turn produces different supernatural agents / gods. 

That is my opinion.

What do you think? ;-)~

Views: 77

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

IMO you  have it exactly right, DD.

With 28 views and no posts, people agree.

If 36 people viewed this Discussion, I wonder how many agreed, how many disagreed, and how many didn't give a whistle's toot? If some accepted and others disagreed, why did they not support their positions? Are they bored? lazy? confused? afraid? angry? grieving? disinterested?

If I were in a cave sitting by a warming fire and heard strange noises outside and the flash of lightning lit up the sky and cave, and a roll of thunder shook the ground, I imagine I would call out for help, if no one came I would pretend there was a superhuman power that came to chase away what lurked outside. If things quieted down, I would thank the energy that chased away the villain that I could not see.

Therefore, I agree, an individual feels something: angry, sad, mad, afraid, and creates a story to explain what caused the activation of senses. I would tell fellow cave-dwellers what happened and what saved my life. The others of the clan would hear the story, learn of the god, show or tell others. Someone wrote down the story and it became gospel. Celebrations to call forth the energy began as did hymns and songs of praise. The litany came throughout time and place and we have RCC, Protestants, Mormons, and the roughly 4200 religions in the world.

Those that think I write too much have a point, and I just proved it! 

You sure did, Joan, but the number is 41 now.

I checked my email cuz five minutes ago someone left me a phone message saying all services on my Windows computer have been suspended. One of those ransomware calls, I suppose. It doesn't appear to have been this computer.

Those kinds of calls come in every day. This is a real problem and one that needs to be addressed. 

Here is the theme for my pledge. 

I believe this to be 100% accurate. It explains also why there are so many gods. The believer, of course, will claim that all those other gods are really his god by a different name and sometimes the story was not exactly right. 

RSS

© 2019   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: The Nexus Group.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service