Atheists are normally considered bad people. DO atheists necessarily do bad things because of their unbelief in eternal punishment?

Views: 87

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Straight from the horse's mouth:

The Christian delights in the death of a pagan, because thereby Christ himself is glorified.
-- St. Bernard of Clairvaux
Why would the death of a person glorify Christ?
This makes no sense.
Isen't one of the ten commandments something about killing,or is that just killing jews?
Some narrow minded theists are complete idiots. They assume that if you don't worship god you automatically worship satan. They can't seem to grasp the concept that atheist means "I don't believe in gods" which also means "I don't believe in satan--so why would I worship him?".

But of course we don't do bad things because of our lack of belief in eternal punishment. That's nothing more than a stereotype. The sheer number of crimes committed by "good Christians" is enough to show that fear of eternal punishment does nothing. Furthermore the comparatively low crime rates and high quality of living in nations like Denmark and Sweden (which are quite non-theistic vs. the US) put to rest the notion that people need "the fear of God" to keep them in line.
research both sides? bugger that they are both crazy we dont debate santist so why bother reading about them?

yes satanist worship the darker parts of man but read the OT in the bible and remove all the praising of god and replace god with the name satan and you wont be able to tell the diffrence between the two concepts satan fits in just perfectly with gods personality in the OT (does god have a split personality or what? well he is aid to be atleast 3 beings already why not the devil as well).
dam i was only joking around with the first bit at the top
I don't know the exact stat, but I am pretty sure that less than 1% of all prisoners in American prisons are Atheists. Most prisoners are proclaimed believers in God. That is kind of telling.
I do think atheists frighten most religious people. After all, someone who is deeply religious will have been taught since birth to believe that morality doesn't exist without a religious basis, and (although they may not admit it), they likely believe that humans only behave properly because they fear God, or an afterlife in Hell, or what have you. The concept that you can be moral without being religious is alien to them. And for some reason, when one of their fellow believers does something bad, this is interpreted as proof that people should strive to be MORE religious, and not (as I believe) evidence that religion isn't necessarily the solution to all of life's problems. The idea that some people are evil yet religious is as scary to them as the idea that some people are good yet atheist, and they shut their eyes and ears to both possibilities.
most of the time the people that say atheists are bad people are judgmental religious fanatics , or just uninformed loud mouths that love to impress other uninformed loud mouths , o ya and you can be sure there god fearing christian or fanatical Muslims , in every debate I've ever had the religious always manage to attempt to insult or degrade me and call me names, lol , i laugh it off so don't get upset if you are called bad names you know where is coming from .

mike
ooooooooh me spell good , dohhhhh.
In my experience Christians regard Atheists as egoists who worship themselves.

As if believing some all powerful sky wizard pays close attention to every minute detail of your life and gets sad when you ignore him isn't egocentric!
NO WE DON"T!!! We don't do anything like sacrifice animals or people or do evil acts like that. I can think of nothing that would drive an atheist to commit a crime. We have no edicts to do so, only the edict to learn the truth no mater what the truth is. If you can prove it we accept it even if it radically changes our world view, you just have to prove it first then we will test it and if we can reproduce the results then obviously the universe works that way.
There is an underlying assumption here.

That satanists exist.

Before we tackle that question, let's be clear what we are talking about. Not some misunderstood group who claim to worship Satan but who are really libertine BDSM anarchist magik Eris/Pan worshippers. No, we're talking about the literal medieval Christian view of satanists - people who deliberately do evil and dedicate their life to an intelligent personification of evil who can be communicated with, be summoned, posess people and give power in return for souls. The sort who sacrifice babies.

We have NEVER had anyone credibly come forwards and say "I was a Satanist, I did these things, I consensually participated in these ceremonies." There have people who say it was done to them when children. There have been people who say they believe their relatives are Satanists.

Why not?

Think about it. The whole dynamic only makes sense if the supernatural exists, if there really is an evil being out there who will provide power. Can you imagine a bunch dancing around, saying "Well, we sacrificed the white goat again, and still not a single gold bar appearing. But we must have faith! Same time next week?". It doesn't really work, does it? If no Satan, then no satanists (of the form envisaged by fundies).

RSS

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

line

Nexus on Social Media:

line

© 2016   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service