I recently returned from Europe where servers are paid a fair wage and diners are not expected to tip. I had a discussion with an American about tipping while there and made some of the arguments in this article. The writer (an ex server) initially made the argument that people should tip 20% and that it was rude not to tip. The reaction from Canadians was intense with 80% saying the system should be changed. This person actually changed her mind about a cultural practice and wrote this article. Will this piece change your mind?

The arguments to abolish tipping

Views: 174

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I was a server at one time, but have never agreed with tipping.

When its a treat to be able to afford to eat out occasionally, we shouldn't have to pay more for that meal than is listed on the menu.

Thankfully I too come from a country where minimum wages are fair and reasonable for a person to be able to live, have a roof over their heads and be able to feed themselves. We do not tip (much). Sometimes I do but mostly I don't. There is no need to when people are treated fairly.

First, does European or Canadian capitalism reward sociopathy? American capitalism does.

Second, before I accept that the Cornell University study was fair, I want to see its design and procedures.

Friends and I visit an on-campus restaurant each week where the service, including the food preparation time and the delivery time, ranges from very slow to speedy. I tip well for speedy service, yet tips are placed in a jar and later divided equally among the female waiters. The turnover among the waiters is quite high.

Not sure I understand. Where is the lack of a social and moral conscience in a society that ensures all in the restaurant industry get a fair wage and people do not have to perform like a circus animal to normalize their earnings.

European and Canadian capitalism support universal health care - American capitalism does not. Who lacks a moral conscience there?

In Canada we still tip and I still tip, but it appears 80% of us want a system more like the Europeans. We probably copied the good idea of universal health care from some one else and now we want the European model for fair wages in the restaurant industry and the price on the menu being the price that supports fair wages.

As of now, that would be a death sentence to the servers in the US if they got rid of tips.

OF course it has to be a two stage operation. Fair wages first, then optional tipping. Can a culture change? Canada's did with health care. There is a sentiment to do it with tipping. First step is the logical arguments.

If Interested.

The wage for Tipped employees in the U.S.

https://www.dol.gov/whd/state/tipped.htm

Note:  State requires employers to pay tipped employees a minimum cash wage above the minimum cash wage required under the federal Fair Labor Standards Act ($2.13/hour).

This kind of shows how fucked up wage laws are.

Is tipping common  outside of the U.S.?

It is common in Canada, not as common in Europe. My first experience with a different attitude about tipping was in the village of Pangborn in England. My son put down a tip and all of the locals and waitress had a good laugh. Everybody was pointing and saying what is that. An equivalent experience for us might be someone plopping a five dollar bill at the receptionist desk at the dentists. Everyone would point and say, what is that.

Slow internet connection and links to Ning  blocked  the rant I wrote about  Concerages as tipped employees.

Minimun Wages for Tipped Employees.

State requires employers to pay tipped employees a minimum cash wage above the minimum cash wage required under the federal Fair Labor Standards Act ($2.13/hour).

Tipping should be abbolished .

Servers at a local restaraunt should be paid more than  $2.13 an hour. 

Family restaruants are different than corporate restraunts.

A server at a chain corporate  restraunt should be paid more than $2.13/hour.

G/D Ning lag. My rant didn't post.

Here's a link about Wage and Hour Division for Minimum Wages for Tipped Employees.

State requires employers to pay tipped employees a minimum cash wage above the minimum cash wage required under the federal Fair Labor Standards Act ($2.13/hour).

My mind wasn't changed; I've opposed tipping in theory most of my life.

But.  I can't change the laws; if I were in charge things in the U.S. would be very different.

So for now if I choose to eat out I am obliged to tip about 20% for reasonably good service.  If I don't on principal I'm stiffing the underpaid wait staff.  That's a low-class behavior I won't engage in.

If you can't afford to eat at a certain restaurant and tip, then you can't afford to eat there.  Go someplace cheaper.

But taking your beliefs out on the wait staff by lowering their already precarious income isn't fair. 

What is a "Tipped Employee?"

Waiters and waitress's?

Are taxi drivers tipped employees?

Barbers?

Maids in hotels (be they male, or female)?

Does a tip jar at a chin barista qualify as a tipped employee such that $2.13/hr is all that has to be paid the 'employees?'

Some decent restaraunts and responsible employeer in the U.S. say gratituity included and therefore must at a minimum pay the staff minimum wage.

RSS

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

line

Nexus on Social Media:

line

© 2017   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service