With 13,500 religions on this planet, of which Christianity is one, and over 41,000 different denominations of Christianity, it is apparent people have formed differing opinions about not only their definitions of God, but also his or her characteristics and desires. As Susan B. Anthony said, "I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires."

With this in mind, which is more likely - that God has created man in his own image OR that mankind has created God to satisfy his desires? If we are justified in dismissing others' religious beliefs as false or unsupported, are they equally justified in dismissing ours?

Views: 254

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Many years ago I heard on a real news/talk show two men discussing someone else's religious beliefs as applied to astronomical discoveries.  One of the men said something like, "I totally disagree with (whoever), but I have to respect his beliefs."  I thought to myself, "WHY?" 

I finally worked out that I respect a person's right to believe whatever they want to, but I do NOT have to respect what they believe if it makes no sense, has no evidence to back it up, gives someone the right to bully anyone else. 

I also object strongly to the tax-free status of all churches and/or other religious organizations.  They are a form of entertainment for most people.  Tickets for movies, concerts, stage plays are NOT non-taxable, so why should fake healers and god-talkers be?  Attending all those events are a choice.

1) Homo semi-sapiens created, and continue to create, the gods they need. More than anything else, they need to control other homo semi-sapiens.

2) If we are justified in dismissing others' religious beliefs as false or unsupported, are they equally justified in dismissing ours?

If we have any such beliefs, of course they are justified.

But if we find their beliefs useful, why would we dismiss them?

RSS

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

line

Nexus on Social Media:

line

© 2017   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service