I went to Wendover for my birthday and on the drive there I made an observation.

As we where driving I noticed walls along the freeway so you could not see the distant mountains. The streets where swept clean and tidy. When the view wasn’t obstructed there was a clear line where civilization ended and wilderness started.

The thought came to my head,”civilization seems to have the goal of disconnect from Nature”. I dwelled on this thought during the drive. Why was this? My thoughts seemed to drift to the episodes of Man Vs. Wild I have been getting into lately. The answer was that our survival and comfort strived off disconnect from nature. Since we lack fur to warm us during cold winters we must build shelters and wear clothing. Since we lack the stomach we must cook most of our food to sterilize it. Since we lack stability on all fours and our feet are not padded like other animals we must even out and soften the ground we walk on (sidewalks and grass). It occurred to me that disconnect from nature is necessary for the human race, and the reason we have been successful. We do not adapt to our surrounding, but make our surrounds adapt to us.

After dwelling on these thoughts the arguments I have herd from christens came back to me. “The world was created for us to have dominion over”; “It’s obvious that this universe was created by God. All you have to do is look at the beauty of the world”,”God created the world specifically for humans, we have everything we need”. And of course my favorite,” The banana”. These arguments seem almost laughable when you have an understanding of the Human ability to live in the wild.

The only reason this world seems perfect and adapted to Humans is because humans have adapted the world to themselves. And the next time I hear this argument I will be challenging the theist to live in the wilderness as a hermit for a couple months, then come back and tell me that again.

Thank you,
Shane Smith

Views: 42

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

But Steve, don’t you see! God made those flies because he loves us and... And... Shit I got nothing. It’s too hard to say with a strait face!
Thankyou, yes, this is why I refer to the Human race as artificial, because we have detached ourselves from nature.

I've had arguments where I claim we aren't 'intended' to consume anything specific, and that herbal medicines make no sense because we aren't natural in the first place.

We have evolved to consume copious amounts of alcohol, drugs, chemicals, and function in an environment that is devoid of nature and contaminated by toxins.

We are very much artificial, because we have chosen to be...

... and we chose to be because this so called "beautiful creation" naturally tries to wipe us off the face of the earth like an unwanted tumour on a weekly basis.
Very well said. The worst part is, when we try to "get back to nature" we end up going in an RV with all the amenities.
Yes we have. This reminds me of a program i saw where an naturalist was invited into a house in South American.
An ant eater was in her house and she was terrified and the naturalist was asked to remove it....Just one generation earthlier,she would have seen said creature and known it was harmless.
Absolutely. That's why I think so many people cannot accept the concept of evolution. They are too detached from nature.

That's why I think that people who take the bible literally and do not accept evolution should give up all modern amenities.

They should use no phones, computers, cars, modern medicine any of it. Either you accept all science or none of it. Really you have to admire the Amish, they are absurd but at least they are not hypocrites.
Oh I agree...And all be moved to an island to make sure they don't cheat by sneaking to a neighbor's house.
There ya go!
Shane, I agree with most of what you're driving at here, but I have to wonder about this one section, and to be sure, I'm just pointing this out to help you make the best possible argument.

"Since we lack fur to warm us during cold winters we must build shelters and wear clothing. Since we lack the stomach we must cook most of our food to sterilize it. Since we lack stability on all fours and our feet are not padded like other animals we must even out and soften the ground we walk on (sidewalks and grass). It occurred to me that disconnect from nature is necessary for the human race, and the reason we have been successful. We do not adapt to our surrounding, but make our surrounds adapt to us."

It seems to me that we're the ones who bred this out of our system, through a combination of brain development and 'path of least resistance' thinking. (which isn't necessarily to say we're lazy, but that we as a species is very good at making short cuts.) At one time in human development we did have more hair, digestive organs that could handle raw meat and I'm guessing we probably could easily develop stronger padding on our feet even now. Of particular interest is the issue of cooking and digestion. See, we've developed these great brains, perhaps the best on Earth (depending on what we learn about dolphins in the next 100 years). There are some out there who think that with our great brains we were able to figure out that cooking food made it easier and more pleasurable to eat, and that the advent of cooking (which may unlock certain nutrients) is what led to even greater brain development. And with that brain power we, say, built houses and designed protective clothes all of which worked better than our natural fur, so we started to lose it. Maybe it's not that we've always been fighting against nature or that we never had the ability to live on this planet, but that we've learned to rebuild our world in a way that's more convenient for us (often at the expense of 'fuck all the other creatures').

But in the end, I think we're both saying that people developed to fit into this world, despite the fact that humans are now redesigning the world to be the way we want it to be, with varying success.
Yeah that is pretty much what I was saying, but I think we differ on the main point. Basically our very survival depended on us changing our environment. It’s not just for comfort (thought these days it sure as hell is) but for our survival. I feel that if we just had our bodies but much smaller brains (like maybe a dogs), we would probably be extinct by now.
Thanks for the post!

RSS

About

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

Nexus on Social Media:

© 2020   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: The Nexus Group.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service