I was listening to a language expert on abbreviations to the English Language when the words Xmas and Christmas came up. It seems ( and I didn't know this ) that the X in Xmas is from the Greek for Christ so it is not so much an abbreviation by the ungodly but another way of expressing a Christian season. Of course Fundies have such narrow minds any deviation from their beliefs is automatically WRONG but I just thought others may be interested in where the word came from and how long it had been in use as a description of the yuletide festival.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xmas

Views: 35

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I only just heard that myself this week. I've also been reminded recently of the similarities between Jesus and Mithra:

Mithra was born on December 25th as an offspring of the Sun and a virgin mother.

Magi attended his birth, bearing gifts.

Mithra's birthday was celebrated with the burning of yule logs, kissing under the mistletoe, and bringing holly and evergreens inside the house.

Gift-giving, feasting, and singing from house to house, also derive from Mithraic worship.

Mithra was seen as synonymous with love. He was a teacher who traveled with 12 companions and performed miracles.

Mithra was also known as 'the good shepherd', 'the way, the truth and the light', the 'redeemer' and as a 'Saviour', and 'Messiah'. He was identified with both the lion and the lamb.

Mithra was a redeemer of souls.

The followers of Mithra purified themselves by baptism. They also held Sunday sacred.

Mithraism promoted a system of ethics, asceticism, abstinence and renunciation and self-control.

Followers of Mithra believed Heaven, above them, was inhabited by beatified ones. They also believed in Hell, peopled by demons, and situated in the bowels of the Earth.

They had a flood myth.

They believed in the immortality of the soul, in a last judgment, and in a resurrection of the dead, consequent upon a final conflagration of the universe.

The disciples of Mithra formed an organized church, with a developed hierarchy. Their ideas included Mediation, Atonement, and a Savior, who was both human divine. They believed in an afterlife.

Mithra was buried in a tomb and after three days he rose again. His resurrection was celebrated every year at Easter. The Mithraic religion also had a Eucharist or 'Lord's Supper' - a sacred meal of bread, water and consecrated wine.

Is any of this sounding vaguely familiar?
I don't know, was that in a movie?
I have one too. Check this one out.

Buddha's virgin mother, Maya, was impregnated by the "Holy Spirit," while a "heavenly messenger" informed her that she would bear "a son of the highest kings."
Buddha was said to have had five favorite disciples who left their former teacher to follow him, just as was Jesus, whose initial five disciples left John the Baptist to follow him.
Buddha is further portrayed as having 12 disciples, the same as Jesus.
Buddha is also depicted as speaking with "two buddhas who had preceded him," a motif reminiscent of Jesus conversing with Moses and Elijah.
While Buddha fasts and prays in solitude in the desert, he is tempted by the Prince of Darkness, Mara, whose overtures of wealth and glory the sage resists.
Like Jesus, Buddha is portrayed as walking on water, while one of Buddha's disciples also is able to walk on water at his instruction.
Like Jesus, Buddha exhorts his disciples to "hide their good deeds, and confess their sins before the world." Furthermore, Buddha is portrayed as administering baptism for the remission of "sin."
Buddha's teachings embraced the brotherhood of men, the giving of charity to all, including adversaries, and "pity or love for one's neighbor."
Buddha was called "the Lion of the Tribe of Sakya, the King of Righteousness, the Great Physician, the God among Gods, the Only Begotten, the Word, the All-wise, the Way, the Truth, the Life, the Intercessor, the Prince of Peace, the Good Shepherd, the Light of the World, the Anointed, the Christ, the Messiah, the Saviour of the World, the Way of Life and Immortality."
This is a screen cap of a translation of Jesus Christ into Greek -

It translates as Christ Jesus. Note the 'X' at the front, it equates to an English 'H' - Christ is pronounced roughly as "hristos". It is the same for most orthodox churches.
From "Fundies say the darndest things" http://www.fstdt.com/

I believe that the Authorized King James Bible of 1611 is the perfect, pure and inspired word of God. (Psalm 12:6-7). I believe that there was inspiration from God involved with the translation of the King James Version. (2 Timothy 3:16) Anything in the King James Version that may seem like it disagrees with the Greek and Hebrew manuscripts corrects the Greek and Hebrew. I do not believe in finding out the meanings of Greek or Hebrew words. The King James Bible is perfect in English, and to try to correct it with the Greek is adding our own private interpretations to Scripture.
Katy-Anne, Aussie Mama 4 Jesus [Comments (44)] [2007-Dec-13]
I submitted one to FSTDT today. It was a response to Australian theologian, Dr Ian Guthridge's claim that Jesus could not possibly have been God. The logic of the rebuttal is scintillating in its intellect:

"Whatever Christ was, he was not simply, as Dr Guthridge would like him to be, ‘a great man’ like Buddha, Confucius or Mohammed. Why not? Because he claimed to be God! Either Christ was God then, or he was a liar. There is no third."
I like the tried and true statement about jesus

A:He was god
B:He wasn't and knew therefore a liar
C:He wasn't and didn't know therefore bat shit crazy

about the original topic, I like x-mas mainly because im lazy and dont care :)
I believe that theologian, Bart Ehrman, favours the bat shit crazy theory.
As do I ;)
actually that guy is an idoit by religious standards as well only once in the 4 new testmenst jesus is in the said he was the son of god but the rest of them he never says so even when he was ask by his followers about it
I had forgotten about the 'X' also, but in medicine we use x as an abbreviation for all sorts of things
Fx = fracture, Tx = treatment, etc

So, is Bill O'Liely claiming that the Xmas abbreviation is yet another assault in his imaginary war on Christmas? You know, like the whole (gasp) Happy Holidays thing? That man seriously needs a psych evaluation and if he's found to be mentally healthy, I would like to be the first one to press charges against him for inciting hatred.
I think I shall celebrate Yule even if it is not winter down here !!!

RSS

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

line

Nexus on Social Media:

line

© 2018   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service