some times i find its not  helpful  to discuss atheism with believers or trying to convert them
, maybe to keep them working hard in this life , let them live with hoop 
some times im not sure they will be good humans without believing in some God watching them....
like  Nietzsche said:yes there is no god but dont tell the maid ..she willl steal the household :)

trying hard to write good english  :)

Views: 302

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have complicated feelings about this. Nice to meet you Fahad, I bet we would get a long just fine.
nice to meet you to Sonny
thanks
Wow. Saudi Arabia. You're a brave guy. I hope you are anonymising yourself. Happy birthday and welcome.

trying hard to write good english :)

You are doing two things a lot of native english speakers here don't - you're being coherent, and you're actually creating a conversation, instead of just posting blind broken links, raw gibberish or spamming your inane personal blog. So please, don't let you're poor english prevent you from contributing. You are more than welcome.
thanks Dr.Gorgan
..the good thing that i dont have to do any thing to practice my atheism here :)
i need few months to improve my English .. planing to study soon
thanks for encouraging
thanks .for encouraging :) .. i feel a kind of brotherhood with atheist's
as i see in my country religion mean morals , some religious people are honest and have some commitment towered society -regardless the kind
nice
thanks for the link
i hoop all humans where atheists what im wandering about is it efficient now
i remember i spent hours discussing atheism with intelligent american guy without any progress
i know religions cost us too much now .. i think we need 3 to 4 generations after atheismnazations efforts can make any progress
I am still in the middle of Breaking the Spell. That said, I don't get the impression so far that Dennett promotes a particular approach (soft or otherwise). He makes a good argument for why religion exists and how it brings advantage (and disadvantage) to human groups, and therefore individuals. Perhaps later on he does promote some approach to dealing with religion; we'll see.

My conclusion based on his arguments so far is that religion is advantageous on some level and, as such, may never go away completely. We simply need to work hard to bring all societies to a point where religion does not, and can not, dominate society or the law.
There is a lot to be said for approaching religion objectively. For most of us ex-theists it is difficult to be objective about the subject.
I don't know about that, I think as Humans we try to exert control over situations that we have not real control over. This naturally leads to some sort of super natural explanation for how things work so we feel we have some control over our lives and our surroundings. Now I am not saying this is correct or in any way helpful but I think that humans do reach for something beyond our selves. I have been an atheist for a number of years and I still catch my self some times trying to bargain with God. This might just be a religious upbringing but I feel that it is me trying to influence something I have no control over.
As a theist I tried persuading others of my beliefs indiscriminately for the sake of their eternal souls. As a non-theist I find discussing my beliefs with others very helpful for building mutual understanding, but persuading others of my beliefs to be less important. No souls need saving. And on a here-and-now level, I agree with you: conversion to non-theism may benefit some (for me it was freedom from the notion that everyone around me was going to hell), but may destroy others in any number of ways (such as those you mentioned). Everyone is so complex, so different! For one I would rather see a moral theist who is satisfied with his life than a non-theist who left his morality behind with his God.
believers need courage more than Intelligence to be atheists

RSS

© 2018   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: The Nexus Group.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service