Harry Potter: Child friendly?
...So why, if Harry celebrates Christmas, does this book stir up so much controversy? I'm not quite sure why some feel so compelled to burn these books or band them from any library. Sure, there isn't any mention of any god, with the exception of the occasional exclamation using the word god, but they do make an effort to connect themselves to the majority religion by celebrating something close to Christmas.

I am sure however that until they get the story line right in the movie, it's not going to be worth watching the next movie. I suggest that if you feel confused while watching this movie, refer to the book. It helped me understand the movie. ...

Read more here:
http://www.examiner.com/x-12287-Norfolk-Atheist-Parenting-Examiner~...

Views: 126

Replies to This Discussion

Bright kid!
One of the best elements of the series is that the characters do grow, the story does mature, and yes, Rowling is not afraid to kill off characters which traditionally you never kill off in books. In war, in strife, not everyone survives. It's a hard lesson but it's far closer to reality than stories where the bad guys get picked off like flies and every single one of the good guys miraculously makes it through the big battle unharmed.

The first book, where Harry is 11, is great for 11 year olds. The 5th book where he's 15 is not so great for 11 year olds but awesome for 15 year olds and so on.
In Disney the mother is usually already dead, but daddy has a good shot of surviving. It always made the stories harder to relate to, as a single-mom's kid.
I've not read Harry Potter books, as my kids were grown and my grandkids too young for them.
However, I've seen all the movies (except the latest) and have enjoyed them thoroughly.
My friends and I have enjoyed them together, and I plan on showing them to all my grandkids when they get a wee bit older. (eldest is only 7, so maybe another year or so for the first ones.

The trouble I hear most from Xtians is Harry Potter leads children to Witchcraft.
My favorite is a quote these folks use from Newsweek... I wonder that they cannot see the irony of what they are saying! Can they not see you can replace "Hogwarts" with "Heaven" and it's the same thing?
"I get letters from children addressed to Professor Dumbledore [headmaster at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, the books’ setting], and it’s not a joke, begging to be let into Hogwarts, and some of them are really sad. Because they want it to be true so badly they’ve convinced themselves it’s true." (-Malcolm Jones, "The Return of Harry Potter!", Newsweek (Online), July 1, 2000, page 4.
I also lost interest after the 5th book. I still read the sixth and I am not sure about the seventh. I actually hate it that they resurrected Harry. He should have stayed dead.
I have read most of the books, and they are excellent. I prefer non-fiction, but this is a fiction series I can sink my imagination in because she transfers emotion and imagery so well.

RSS

About

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

Nexus on Social Media:

© 2018   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: The Nexus Group.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service