“Nonviolent Communication” Excerpts and Notes:
Author: Marshall B Rosenberg
Anger is a wake up call to my needs:
What am I needing and not getting?
Hearing a Difficult Message:
Unproductive to getting our needs met:
1. blame ourselves
2. blame others
More likely to get our needs met:
3. sense our own feelin...gs and needs
4. sense others’ feelings and needs
1. Stop. Breathe.
2. Identify my judgmental thoughts.
… distinguish stimulus from cause…
3. Connect with my needs.
4. Express my feelings and unmet needs.
… “I feel angry because I need …”
Listen to what people are needing rather than what they are thinking
Anger emerges from:
• thoughts of blame
• should / have to
• believing that someone deserves something
Practice translating each judgment into an unmet need
"Our objective is to establish relationships based on Honesty and Empathy"