I am currently visiting Jordan for a couple of months, and have been interested in knowing more about any secular movements in this relatively progressive kingdom. Unfortunately I have come to the sobering realisation that we, as Arabs, are an extremely long way away from respectable freedom.

Although, to stay on topic, I did come across Ibn Warraq's 'WHY I AM NOT A MUSLIM' in a bookshop the day before yesterday. I thought I'd mention it after reading the following quote in an article posted on Ghassan Yonis's blog:

-----

"Jordanian law bans publication of books that could be seen as harmful to Islam and the Prophet Muhammad."

http://www.gyonis.com/2009/06/23/islam-vs-eslam/

-----

And it's no exaggeration that Ibn Warraq's book is (intellectually) devastatingly "harmful to Islam and the Prophet"! [A highly recommended read.]

The shop is called Readers in Swefiya. Suffices to say, the look on the checkout girl's face was pretty priceless. I may have pushed more buttons after I asked for Dawkins' 'GOD DELUSION' and Hitchens' 'GOD IS NOT GREAT' - which, by the way, they also had in stock.

I left the shop with a smile, an expression I rarely show after dealing with Arab businesspersons.

Views: 45

Replies to This Discussion

Yah, someone has to report the book in order for the authorities to do anything about it, since it wasn't published here...Where did you find these books anyway?
I found Ibn Warraq's book in Readers bookshop in Swefiya (I think the mall's called Cozmo), and the books by Richard Dawkins and Christopher Hitchens were also stocked at the bookshop in Baraka mall down the road.

RSS

About

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

line

Nexus on Social Media:

line

© 2018   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: The Nexus Group.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service