It is very important not to mistake hemlock for parsley, but to believe or not believe in God is not important at all.
-- Denis Diderot
- Our brains are too small for this complex world. We demand simple explanations. And a petty, spiteful, vengeful god that has no imagination. Something in our own image. Atheism
- Theists are stupid. Agnostics are weenies. We're right and you're wrong. Bitch.Agnosticism
- We're too smart to be sure about anything. Oh, and we can quote Socrates, so there.Pantheism
- No we're not hippies. But the universe, it's like all one big cosmic consciousness man...Apatheism
- Screw this. Let's go to the pub.
Ever feel like showing up at an orchid fanciers meeting with a bag of cement and a trowel ? Or frying up bacon out the front of a synagogue ? Or beating your head in against an immovable object until you bleed ? No ? Well neither have we.
"Insanity is repeating the same thing over and over, and expecting different results.
" -— Benjamin Franklin
Kind of like arguing with theists.
Welcome to apatheism. Viler than atheism. Not only do we deny the creator's existance, we can't even be fucked bothering with the pro's and con's. It's completely and utterly irrelevant. Worrying about whether that porn torrent will ever get past 99.8% is more important. Worrying if the pizza takeaway is still delivering after 11pm is more important. Hoping you didn't do something stupid the night before after drinking a quart of vodka is more important.
Whether god exists or not doesn't mean shit. If it does, an honest apatheist will stand a better chance than an obsequious believer or a smart arse doubter. We'll worry about that when and if it matters. Let's go get drunk. "Practical atheism [apatheism] is not the denial of the existence of God, but complete godlessness of action; it is a moral evil, implying not the denial of the absolute validity of the moral law but simply rebellion against that law."
-- Étienne Borne's
brain explodes trying to come to terms with people who think god is irrelevant.Etymology
Neologism coined in 2003 as a blend of apathy and theism (from Greek Theós
1. Apathy towards the existence of a god; belief that the question of the existence of a god is unimportant.apatheist
1. A person who claims not to care whether a god exists or maintains that such a fact would not change his or her life, perhaps due to his or her belief that such a god would not judge them or reward them.