Most of us know not to let pets eat chocolate, but there's lots more pet poison in our food that we should know about.
Some sites even recommend garlic as a natural medicine for dogs! Onions and garlic destroy their red blood cells.
All members of the allium family, which includes garlic, shallots and scallions, contain these compounds, which can wreak havoc on a pet’s red blood cells, if eaten in large enough amounts. Garlic tends to be much more toxic than the common onion. Also, garlic and onion powders, typical ingredients in many soups, baby food and meat sauces, can be quiet killers.
And be very careful with house plants!
Poinsettias, azaleas, any type of lily or bulbs (daffodils, narcissus...can kill people, too.)....there are web sites with lists of toxic substances.
Automobile anti-freeze is sweet, so dogs might be tempted to lick up any that has dripped on the ground.
And chewing gum that idiots throw away in the street can choke a dog...especially large wads of bubble gum. I used to walk a Weimaraner (a very silly dog) who was attracted to sun-warmed bubble gum, and if she wouldn't respond to "Drop it!" I had to grab it out of her mouth before it got down to her throat. She never, EVER tried to bite me. GOOD dog, but brainless.
I also baby-sat a pair of cairn terriers who had to be barred from the cats' litter box because they thought what was in there was Almond Roca. Or I had to scoop it every time it was used...there were 4 cats plus the 2 dogs in that household. (I have never been able to eat that particular confection since I met those 2 dogs... = 8 O)
Not ALL avocados are toxic to pets, and not all parts of the avocado seed pod (fruit) are toxic. It's the thick-skinned (Guatemalan) avocados that contain the toxin(s) in the skin and seed. Fuerte' (thin-skinned, winter-ripening) avocados are harmless. If things were otherwise, AVO-DERM would have been out of business decades ago.
We have ONE Fuerte' tree by the driveway entrance (stupid place to plant it, but the former owners of this house did that in 1939.), and the local wildlife FEAST in January and February, and on into spring when the 'cados we can't reach get over-ripe and fall on the ground, or the roof of the house. (It's a BIG tree now).
I have never, ever seen any sick or dead squirrels or raccoons around here, and we have plenty of them...squirrels by day, and raccoons by night.
Had a funny incident with one cat who ate some Poinsettia leaves one holiday season. I rushed him to the vet, and they did "gastric lavage," but they kept him overnight, and wanted to keep him longer because his "eyes were still dilated." I had to explain that Kipps was born that way....and the vet said "Oh. Bella (something)" that meant "beautiful blindness," but he was never blind.
They did examine Kipps very carefully to make sure there was no discernible cause for the permanent condition (like high BP, or glaucoma, or tumors), and found nothing. They finally sent him home, days later and didn't charge for all the complicated tests because they considered the whole thing a "learning experience" for their staff. As soon as Kipps was back home, he ran away from me, hissing and cursing a blue streak. I didn't blame him.
Never found this one in lists, so I'll mention it here: the house plant variety of Asparagus.