Here's the article - http://blogs.usatoday.com/oped/2009/12/column-atheists-need-a-diffe... And many thanks to PZ Myers for posting about it on Pharyngula.

Synopsis--stop being represented by those evil old vocal atheists. Atheists should allow only we women to speak because, "This friendlier atheism sounds more like a civil rights movement than a crusade. And it is far more likely to issue from the lips of friendly women than from the spittle of angry men." Yup, we women are friendlier. More willing to back down from a fight. We'll be quiet and apologetic and oh-so-sorry to have bothered anyone with our atheism. I think I must go vomit, now.

Views: 246

Replies to This Discussion

Yeeeees. I recall that being covered in that awesome book Freakonomics. Apparently having others take the piss out of the KKK helped to shut it down a bit.

They've sparked back to life in quite a number of ways, but that's not the point...
And this is precisely why I like irreverantly making fun of theism and think things like the atheist "cracker" campaign are great ideas.

Demonstrating the sheer stupidity of something using humor has been demonstrated to be a very effective strategy.

It can't and shouldn't be the only one but it does it's job well.

Let's face it. The way we're going to win the theist / atheist wars is going to be with our brains.

We're just a whole lot smarter than they are :-)
There was one other thing which did the KKK no favors ... a little something called television. While the Klan's actions may not have been directly covered, the beatings and riots delivered by police in the south during the 60's got considerable TV news coverage. Add that to stories circulating about the modern day Klan, plus reports of murder and church bombings allegedly at Klan members' hands and the not-so-knightly Knights were in deep sneakers ... mostly due to overexposure!
> These competing approaches could not be further apart. One is an invitation to a duel. The other is a fair-minded appeal for recognition and respect.

AAAARGH just reading that again makes me so ANGRY! >___< Why, why should we be expected to politely ask for respect and recognition from group whose beliefs are founded on everything a modern, moral society agrees is wrong? Racism, sexism, class discrimination, totalitarianism, genocide, slavery... it is a deeply fucked up world when these people need to be asked to grant respect to us!
Articles like Prothero's make me wonder if militant atheism has a point, after all...
Well, we're not really 'militant.' A militant Islamist blows up a temple. A militant Jew will build on the west bank and shoot Palestinians who come close. A militant Christian drives his car into an abortion clinic.

A militant atheist says 'You're wrong, and also, fuck you.' So yes, it has a point, and I think the most important point it has is to show that we can get angry about this, and we are angry about this because it's a way in which we are being mistreated.
Good point. If this is our idea of "militant", those believers should damned well be glad. Their extremists have certainly never treated us with such gentleness.
A militant Islamist blows up a temple.

A militant Jew will build on the west bank and shoot Palestinians who come close.

A militant Christian drives his car into an abortion clinic.

A militant atheist says 'You're wrong, and also, fuck you.'

I'm going to jack this...it's going on my profile. Brilliant.

What gets ME even angrier is when theists act as if we don't have a right to be angry, let alone have rights at all. We are like any other minority being mistreated in the most outrageous ways, except we have to fend for ourselves.

But to some extent, I think theists understand that if ever we all united and became the most vocal we've ever been, it would blow the house down. That's why there's such a strong push to silence not only us but intellectualism in general...
A militant Islamist blows up a temple.

A militant Jew will build on the west bank and shoot Palestinians who come close.

A militant Christian drives his car into an abortion clinic.

A militant atheist says 'You're wrong, and also, fuck you.'

I want to use this, too =D
The irony of this is that the person who taught me to be angry about my atheism was a woman.
Boys like you are programmed to inherit wife aggro :)

RSS

About

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

line

Nexus on Social Media:

line

© 2018   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service