Democratic club reinstates award to military religious freedom champion

On May 29th, I wrote about how the Santa Monica, California-based Pacific Palisades Democratic Club revoked a political courage award they had given to Mikey Weinstein, founder of the Military Religious Freedom Foundation (MRFF). The fallout from that act was that two officers of the PPDC resigned in protest and that prior recipients Joe Wilson and his wife Valerie Plame Wilson returned their awards.

Well, now it appears the PPDC has had a change of heart and reinstated Mikey Weinstein's award.

This club has a very evocative emblem: a jackass on a surfboard. More, including the text of their press release and reaction from the Wilsons, here.

Views: 30

Replies to This Discussion

It's nice when people do the right thing... it sucks when it has to be after doing the wrong thing, though.

"The PPDC award was first offered to and accepted by Mr. Weinstein two weeks ago, but, unfortunately, PPDC subsequently attempted to withdraw it based on incorrect information. PPDC's concerns had to do not with Mr. Weinstein's political affiliation, as surely no one party has an exclusive claim on political courage, but rather an erroneous perception about Mr. Weinstein's past activities as a White House lawyer in the Reagan Administration, a serious error we most sincerely regret."

I always love it when people make decisions based on assumptions or poorly-researched information. Welcome to the internet age.. where misinformation runs wild and no one fact-checks in reality anymore.
an erroneous perception about Mr. Weinstein's past activities as a White House lawyer in the Reagan Administration, a serious error we most sincerely regret."

Why should this even be an issue?
I think it was a red herring, Susan. I think the issue that the PPDC was really worried about was alienating religious democrats.

RSS

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

line

Nexus on Social Media:

line

© 2017   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service