My brain hurt so much after reading this editorial that I can't even contemplate tearing it apart. Help me out here.

Oh, and don't miss the comments, especially the amateur physicist/geologist/meteorologist and his/her descriptions of the effects of "the Flood."

Views: 134

Replies to This Discussion

I think my brain just exploded. My 8 year old nephew understands that no all atheists are gnostic atheists. We got him to understand that after a two minute explanation. (Of course, my nephew is also brilliant :)) I couldn't finish the article. It was too painful.
My oh my, that was indeed a brain drain. I think I lost the ability to even listen to this guy when he argued, in full seriousness, that Jesus was obviously God because the Bible said so...and any other possibility would be inconsistent with what the Bible said. He seems to confuse "faith" that there is no God with a skeptical attitude that, until reliable and convincing evidence (beyond some patched-together, internally inconsistent, propagandist work of fiction) is provided for God, atheists refuse to believe in one. Ai...
Having Dawkins or Harris debate this guy would be an insult to them. I think any of us on the forum could adequately debate him.
what is this... i don't even.....

AAAAAAAARGHHH!!
Wow, any argument that starts with a strawman is kind of fucked, and then ... who the hell is this idiot talking to?

Next, listen to this piece of stunning illogic offered by many an atheist. “God may work for you, but that god stuff doesn’t work for me. You can have your beliefs, but you can’t make absolute statements that apply to everyone.”
Strange, but I've never heard any atheist say anything like that. We don't speak in terms of something working for someone; we speak in terms of objective reality. What the hell?

Jesus, in his monotheistic culture, claimed to be Yahweh God in the flesh.
Umm, no. No, he doesn't. You haven't read your Bible, have you?

And then he trots out C.S. Lewis's old, hideously-flawed false-trichotomy which has been ripped apart in so many forums, including a few of the more bizarrely-honest religious ones.

But people do not die for something they know is false.
"... for something they know ..." Holy crap, now he's building the explanations for why his arguments are false directly into his arguments.
Strange, but I've never heard any atheist say anything like that.

Same here.
I don't know about the rest of you atheists, but I'm still trying to find god - with my baseball bat!
Oh, and don't miss the comments, especially the amateur physicist/geologist/meteorologist and his/her descriptions of the effects of "the Flood."

Yeah, electric activity from all of the quartz in the Earth's crust caused the massive nuclear fusion of Uranium and Plutonium, which weren't present previously. Really? I mean, really?
an interesting quote: "But any Christian who takes the Bible seriously realizes that he is not a “good” person at all. He realizes that he is mostly self-centered. Even the nice things he does are usually tainted by self-centeredness.". So the author just wrote that all christians are self-centered people who do everything for themselves.
Eh, it's the old we're-all-horrible-sinners-completely-unworthy-of-love-but-God-will-love-you-anyway-so-you-should-worship-him-and-do-what-I-say argument.

Yeah, that is what I was told as a child.  And I was told that ANYTHING good that I did was due to god, and I should not feel responsible since it was him working through me.  Today, I consider that child abuse. 

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

RSS

About

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

line

Nexus on Social Media:

line

© 2018   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service