Hi Folks! I've been part of Atheist Nexus for years, but haven't been all that active recently. My husband (a superstitious, anti-organized-religion, theist) started attending AA meetings last year, and suggested I start attending Alanon. I can't stand the opening/closing prayers, the reading to the 12 steps, most of which makes reference to god/higher power. I feel like everyone at these meetings drank the coolaid, and I wonder what brainwashing is going on in the AA meetings my husband is attending. Are there any support groups out there for family of addicts that aren't about using "higher power"? Thanks!
I also have a "alternative" set of the 12 steps if your intrested, I think it may help.
here they are., please post ur thoughts.
1. We admitted we were powerless over our addiction, that our lives had become unmanageable.
2. We came to believe and to accept that we needed strengths beyond our awareness and resources to restore us to sanity.
3. We made a decision to entrust our will and our lives to the care of the collective wisdom and resources of those who have searched before us.
4. We made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.
5. We admitted to ourselves, without reservation, and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.
6. We were ready to accept help in letting go of all our defects of character.
7. With humility and openness we sought to eliminate our shortcomings.
8. We made a list of all persons we had harmed, and became willing to make amends to them all.
9. We made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.
10. We continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong, promptly admitted it.
11. We sought through meditation to improve our spiritual awareness and our understanding of the NA way of life and to discover the power to carry out that way of life.
12. Having had a spiritual awakening as a result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to addicts, and to practice these principles in all our affairs.
I really like that....gonna copy and paste and keep in my big book... thanks!
Please do, and feel free to change the language if you are in another fellowship. This works for everyone, even those who choose to believe in a god. This is reality based, and very logical, so who knows....